Thinking of getting rid of the car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whizgo looks great, what a fantastic idea. I particularly like the fact that they just leave the cars in public car parks and you just turn up and drive off. Brilliant.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
You could drive me up to Newcastle col. Drive both cars back to Darlington then you could drop me off in Durham on your way back to Newcastle with the hire car.

Errmmm, I think I can see a major flaw in that idea. Hang on, I'll get back to you (Now, where's that old envelope and me pencil.....).

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Rhythm Thief said:
Whizgo looks great, what a fantastic idea. I particularly like the fact that they just leave the cars in public car parks and you just turn up and drive off. Brilliant.
They do that in the 'pool, owners don't know it for a while though.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I agree with the sentiment about getting a lot of taxi rides for the cost of a tax disc etc., it's true.

But if you're thinking about emergencies, can you really rely on taxis? Chances are when you really need it they'll all be off on holiday or other jobs.....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:

We have them in York, and a friend of mine is thinking of giving up her car. I don't have a car myself, don't need one and have nowhere to park it. If someone needed me in a hurry, they'd be either a) in York, in which case I could be there by bike in 20 minutes, or :biggrin: so far away that the train might well be quicker (assuming there was one at a suitable time), and in fact so far away that it would be unlikely that I could be there in less than a few hours anyway...

If you are thinking of getting rid, why not keep a car diary. Note down when and why it gets used, over a week, or month say, and then see how often that could be done some other way (taxi perhaps). Then add up standing costs for the month (tax, MOT, repair bills, insurance) and see how they work out versus possible taxi/car hire bills.

I would imagine that if you live in a city or town, you are going to be able to find a taxi most times - you might have to keep note of a few company numbers and ring round.

domtyler

Über Member
I would question the sense in getting rid totally. Unless you are seriously strapped for cash you are just shooting yourself in the foot when you can do motoring on the cheap like me.

Taxis are all well and good but the costs can mount up and the quality of service can vary. Nothing is more frustrating than ringing around ten companies and getting 40 minutes as the quickest any of them can get to you, this is not unusual during peak times. Not exactly the emergency services is it?

Obviously if you are living on the breadline and need to watch every penny then it is possible to do without.

curve

I have lived my whole life without being able to drive and I have never had any problems getting to places. It helps being close to a train station and have lots of friends and family members to drive you as and when needed.

curve said:
lots of friends and family members to drive you as and when needed.

so A car is still being used to do your trips which doesn't really negate the effect of not having a car, does it? :tongue:

curve

When I come to think of it the only car trip I have taken in the last month was a lift back from the train station when it was absolutely teeming down with rain. My other options would have been a taxi or jump on a bus. I did not ask for the lift it was offered.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Arch said:
We have them in York, and a friend of mine is thinking of giving up her car. I don't have a car myself, don't need one and have nowhere to park it. If someone needed me in a hurry, they'd be either a) in York, in which case I could be there by bike in 20 minutes, or :tongue: so far away that the train might well be quicker (assuming there was one at a suitable time), and in fact so far away that it would be unlikely that I could be there in less than a few hours anyway...

If you are thinking of getting rid, why not keep a car diary. Note down when and why it gets used, over a week, or month say, and then see how often that could be done some other way (taxi perhaps). Then add up standing costs for the month (tax, MOT, repair bills, insurance) and see how they work out versus possible taxi/car hire bills.

I would imagine that if you live in a city or town, you are going to be able to find a taxi most times - you might have to keep note of a few company numbers and ring round.

Good ideas Arch,but its not the costs that were a worry,but the instant get there if needed that was,so i think the taxi and bus thing are doable,and if needed,friends and relatives may help,but when i look at only doing five thousand miles in two and a half years of driving,it just seems its not a needed thing otherwise.
And being able to rely on instant transport,is a little optamistic of me isnt it?

biking_fox

Guru
On the "I need to get there immidately" option, if you've had a car left outside for x months since it was last driven, there's no guarentee that it would work, anymore than that the taxis would be there anyway.

As a carless urbanite, I find it no hassle at all to be carless, but you do have to think about some things, and it can be a pain getting out into the countryside - but that's what car hire is occasionally for, and otherwise I'm generally going with friends who appreciate the petrol contribution.

My biggest problem - it's very difficult to find out how to get somewhere by bus, which stop is actually the one you want, where do you have to walk to to change etc, but transport-direct is a great resource.

Shopping for two is easily done by bus. It is quite doable by bike, though you may have to shop more than once per week, with an eye on panier size. Shopping for a large family is probably not quite so suitable.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
domtyler said:
Taxis are all well and good but the costs can mount up and the quality of service can vary. Nothing is more frustrating than ringing around ten companies and getting 40 minutes as the quickest any of them can get to you, this is not unusual during peak times. Not exactly the emergency services is it?
I would think that in a dire emergency, there would probably be a friend who would be prepared to drive you somewhere. In someways it would be nice to know that you could do something practical to help.

Arch

Married to Night Train
col said:
Good ideas Arch,but its not the costs that were a worry,but the instant get there if needed that was,so i think the taxi and bus thing are doable,and if needed,friends and relatives may help,but when i look at only doing five thousand miles in two and a half years of driving,it just seems its not a needed thing otherwise.
And being able to rely on instant transport,is a little optamistic of me isnt it?

Well, like biking-fox says, if your car is mostly just sitting there, it may let you down when you need it anyway...

Thing is, you can't predict emergencies - something might come up when your car's in the garage or you've had a couple of drinks, or all sorts of times when even having your own car doesn't help. I guess you have to wiegh up what else you could be spending the money on...

(BTW, if I had the money spare, and a parking space, I would probably get a car, something classic, for my own entertainment as much as transport. ButI certainly don't NEED one..)

Top Bottom