Thinking of getting rid of the car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
summerdays said:
I would think that in a dire emergency, there would probably be a friend who would be prepared to drive you somewhere. In someways it would be nice to know that you could do something practical to help.

We don't have any family living near us, or any friends that I would be comfortable calling in the middle of the night, say, for a lift to A&E.
In short, there is no way I would choose to forego having access to a car for my family.

Arch

Married to Night Train
There's a special taxi service for A and E, I think they are called ambulances...

I know what you mean though. And fair enough if you feel you need it. But it's funny how so many people do manage...

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
There's a special taxi service for A and E, I think they are called ambulances...

I know what you mean though. And fair enough if you feel you need it. But it's funny how so many people do manage...

Do your advise your sister to get rid of her car?

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Do your advise your sister to get rid of her car?

She hardly uses their car, day to day she takes Oli out on foot, and hubby uses it to drive to work. They live so close to the hospital, they could probably stagger there quicker than driving... I certainly wouldn't feel any concern if they didn't have a car, with regard to emergencies. Same for my Mum, she has one, uses it sparingly, but is starting to think it might be time to get rid of it.

Ok, you reckon you need your car, for emergencies. And it's no skin off my nose if you have one. But I'm just pointing out that a lot of people don't have one, and manage without dying.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
She hardly uses their car, day to day she takes Oli out on foot, and hubby uses it to drive to work. They live so close to the hospital, they could probably stagger there quicker than driving... I certainly wouldn't feel any concern if they didn't have a car, with regard to emergencies. Same for my Mum, she has one, uses it sparingly, but is starting to think it might be time to get rid of it.

Ok, you reckon you need your car, for emergencies. And it's no skin off my nose if you have one. But I'm just pointing out that a lot of people don't have one, and manage without dying.

I've never needed to use it in a real emergency thank goodness, it is, undoubtedly, a convenience thing. There is nothing that I really couldn't do without it, life would just be completely different that's all. For instance, my wife drives to work and then goes to the nursery to pick up Matilda, without the car she would need to take two buses which would turn a fifteen minute journey into at least an hour. Not sure if that would remain viable without the car.

Likewise, weekly shopping would be a serious struggle with a young child in tow. As would visiting out of town department stores, Ikea, Costco, Lakeside shopping centre etc. They would all have to go out the window.

Impromptu trips to friends and relatives would not be taken as lightly without the car.

In short, our lives would be radically altered by the omission of the car even though I personally rarely drive the thing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
As would visiting out of town department stores, Ikea, Costco, Lakeside shopping centre etc. They would all have to go out the window.

Well, that sounds like the perfect reason to ditch the car then;)

My Mum should have a medal, all those years she did the shopping with us two in tow, on foot and on the bus....

*makes note to have medal cast for Mother*

Top Bottom