Thinking of taking my palm tree to the sunbed shop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Planty McPlantface

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think you have a plan there Accy. Presumably you want to sun it so that it can grow faster and not develop a tan?

Anyone who suggests that you spraytan it is of course just silly, we all know it turns stuff orange, not deep green.

I have been thinking about his and I have some suggestions. I hope they are useful.

1) Ask the sunbed salon to turn the bed upright. That way you don't have to lay your palm down. Put the pot on a rotating platform and wind some string around it. That way you can remotely pull on the string and the pot would rotate, giving the plant (what his name, BTW?) an nice even exposure on all sides and you can remain safely behind a screen or such and avoid over-exposure yourself.
2) Then, you hint that it is growth, not colour you are after. Growth comes from photosynthesis which converts carbon dioxide into starches. In other words, you need to introduce some CO2 into the booth. I think a nice large block of dry ice would do the trick. With all that CO2 in the booth, the string trick is another reason why you don't want to be close to him whilst he photosynthesizes.
3) Plants also need nitrogen to stay green. In nature this is supplied by lightning - yes it is true - and it makes its way into the soil that way. You need a lightning generator of sorts in there too but I cannot for the life of me think how to do it. I'm sure there will be many good suggestions forthcoming.
If it's CO2 and NOx you're after, just get a diesel engine running in there.

If it's CO2 and NOx you're after, just get a diesel engine running in there.

Naah, petrol. They make more CO2 and it isn't NOx, but N2 that palm trees like. We still need some lightning in there. Anyone with a spare Van der Graaf generator lying around?

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Naah, petrol. They make more CO2 and it isn't NOx, but N2 that palm trees like. We still need some lightning in there. Anyone with a spare Van der Graaf generator lying around?
If they could use N2 directly we wouldn't need lightning to fix it, diatomic nitrogen is all around us. We need something to break apart that dirty great big triple bond. Some sort of Tesla coil? Or just piss on it and use the urea / ammonia.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Your palm should eventually fruit and produce palm nuts.
images.jpg

You boil them, pound them to remove the stones. Add some meat or fish (or both)to make palm nut soup. Very popular here and has a 'meaty' flavour.
Abenkwan-Palm-nut-soup.jpg

Your palm should eventually fruit and produce palm nuts.
View attachment 352808
You boil them, pound them to remove the stones. Add some meat or fish (or both)to make palm nut soup. Very popular here and has a 'meaty' flavour.
View attachment 352809
Different palm trees have different seeds. @Accy cyclist's buddy is apparently a Canary Island date palm, so will presumably produce dates. There are also coconut palms, that produce ... coconuts ... and this saucy specimen from the coco de mer

the-seed-of-a-coco-de-mer-palm-the-so-called-seychelles-nut-is-presented-D6E525.jpg

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Heck,this thread took some finding! I've spent the last 10 or so minutes flicking through all the threads and posts i'd made over the last year or so. I didn't think it was nearly a year since i lost my Castelli jacket,had my hernia op',or asked if one could make a pie for human consumption out of dog meat. :scratch:Anyway,over the last 3 days we've had "hotter than Benidorm and the Bahamas" weather,so naturally i wanted to get as much sun as possible onto my palm tree. My front room is north facing,so there's no point in letting "him" sunbathe there,so i put him in the south facing bathroom. The bathroom window is quite small and he's grown quite a bit since i bought him,so i had to balance him on the wash basin with half his leaves hanging out the window. The question is that with my tree only getting the sun on half his leaves will he still get all the photosynthesis he needs,or will only the parts of the plant exposed directly to sunlight benefit? I'm thinking that the leaves directly exposed to the sun's rays absorb the rays and the "goodness" filters around the plant,not just staying in the places exposed to the sun. Can someone please tell me if i'm right or wrong,as if i'm wrong,the next time we get a "heatwave" i'll have to carry my plant down the stairs and put him outside,but then i'd spend all day worrying incase someone stole him!:unsure:

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You've got all the tropisms going on at once there Accy...obvs phototropism due to sticking it half out of the window. But also hydrotropism due to being in the sink. And also a bit of geotropism chucked in as you're having to lean it over to get it out of the window.

I'm sure it'll come to no harm although the neighbours may suspect a heavy duty skunk farm going on

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm sure it'll come to no harm although the neighbours may suspect a heavy duty skunk farm going on
Yes i did think/worry about that. With my bathroom window being fairly high up (about 15ft),it's quite hard to make out what the plant is. I'm worried incase someone sees it,thinks dope and calls 101 and the plod come round to see if they'll be met with a cat pee/citrusy smell as i open the door. Oh but hang on! They don't respond to 101 calls,only take down your details when you phone them.:whistle:. I should be alright then.;)

Top Bottom