Thinking of Taking up Ballet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Octet

Veteran
Before I continue into my main post, I should give you a bit of background information.

I have back problems which have recently become worse since I've started working (sitting down all day) and I feel that if I don't begin to act now it shall only get worse.
I have never danced before, however I find the concept of ballet something to be captivating and considering the benefits it could have for my posture I think it could be a good hobby, even if it is miles out of my comfort zone.

In December, I will be moving to Cambridgeshire, in particular near Peterborough/Wisbech, and I've taken a look around the area and there are several schools which offer adult lessons, although as a general rule they are few and far between.

The main reason for this post is probably for some advice, if there are either any ballet dancers out there in general (or male ones even better) who could offer me some tips or recommendations on how I should approach this, I would be appreciative.

I should point out that I'm not planning on becoming a world class performer, and so the fact that I didn't start at the age of seven isn't really an issue... but I obviously don't want to jump into an "amateur" class and find that they where all prodigies when they were younger.

Thanks!

I have no idea on ballet but how's your flexibility? Maybe get some yoga in before December?

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
I have no idea on ballet but how's your flexibility? Maybe get some yoga in before December?

Not a bad idea, my flexibility is okay however it isn't amazing. Yoga would probably be a good option (whether I take a class) or just do the basics from home with a couple of tutorials.

If you can spare time/cash a class would help massively more than a DVD as an instructor will help get the posture just right with a small adjustment and make a massive difference.

screenman

Legendary Member
I tried tap dancing once, but I kept falling in the sink.

If you fancy it then go for it, life is to short to put things off, most of all have fun.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Go for it. I did ballet until I was about 7. My feet started turning out and I preferred horse riding where turned out feet are a bad thing. Later when I started climbing, I found that having done ballet for about 4 years (My mother was a bit keen) was no end of a help as I had still retained a modicum of poise.

Go for it and have fun.

I have a bad back and doc recommended Pilates. I have been going for about 18 months and do really enjoy it. It has been amazing for my back and generally I feel much fitter, more bendy and back problem has almost completely gone.
I do two classes per week where I am usually the only male in the class but really it has not been an issue.
While I would recommend Pilates to everyone - especially if you have a bad back , really anything with some movement and control in it must be good.

On the sitting at a desk thing I got a really good chair with lots of adjustment in it and took the arms off it and have it a bit tipped forward and find it much better and stops me slouching in a chair.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
I have a bad back and doc recommended Pilates. I have been going for about 18 months and do really enjoy it. It has been amazing for my back and generally I feel much fitter, more bendy and back problem has almost completely gone.
I do two classes per week where I am usually the only male in the class but really it has not been an issue.
While I would recommend Pilates to everyone - especially if you have a bad back , really anything with some movement and control in it must be good.

On the sitting at a desk thing I got a really good chair with lots of adjustment in it and took the arms off it and have it a bit tipped forward and find it much better and stops me slouching in a chair.

I find the problem with my chair at work is that I start off straight backed.... and as the day goes on I end up sliding down it without noticing, by the time lunch comes I think to myself... how the hell did I end up this slouched?

So what exactly are pilates? (Is it pronounced pie-lates), from a quick google image search it looks like some sort of yoga?

Ganymede

Veteran
I did modern ballet classes in my mid-twenties at drama school. I was in amazing shape as a result (and half my current age, obvs!). I would agree that a spot of yoga would help but there is nothing like dancing - I find dynamic movement and learning routines so much more interesting than doing yoga poses. I also did Wu Dang Tai Chi for a long time and loved it as it is so healthful and interesting, but ballet really does work and tone your muscles.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Pilates is just stuff nicked from yoga.

If you want a really good chair to help with posture get one of these.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Guy I used to work with (he was an ****ole, probably still is) had one of those backless chairs where you tuck your legs under (see if I can find a pic) and it encourages good posture, it was one of our best days in the office when it collapsed and sent him sprawling over the floor, the jerk.

Was that about the same time those screwdrivers went missing?

Top Bottom