Third bike on a budget build! (Scott foil)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Collected the frame today....
image.jpg

And 4 hours later...

image.jpg

Final weight 7.6kg with bottle cages and terrible tyres, just need some nicer tyres (currently on very worn conti ultra race)
Bars are very flexy compared to what im used to dont know if this is normal with carbon bars but im scared to put any force on them, they were making a cracking noise when assembling and i was nowhere near the correct torque but only when tightening one bolt, put some grip compound on and left them just more than hand tight, they wont budge when tugged so should be okay. The stem matches great as do the cages! I had to slam the stem to get comfy though so i might consider cutting the steerer

NorvernRob

It's not normal for carbon bars to move or make a cracking noise, I'd be sh*tting myself going down a hill at 40mph+ with just hand tightened bolts.

Cracking bargain for the frame though!

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
I seem to remember my old zipp carbon bars to flex a little but i didnt have anywhere near as much experience as i do now so cant remember how much it was, i think the cracking may of been the gloss finish but im unsure ill check properly tommorrow

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My carbon bars don't give anything other than confidence so do take a look at them mate .
When I bought a carbon saddle on ebay I found it to be fake . I also noticed the seller was selling fake bars so you do need to be careful of the source these days .
Just saying :thumbsup:

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
They are deffo genuine kuota bars :smile: migh sell it eventually not sure i will though depends how i get on with it over the next few weeks

bianchi1

Guru
What's the history of the bars? Are they new out of the box, or are they used, crashed, trusted seller?

I will buy most things of ebay but when it comes to used carbon....never. Too many people out there will crash a bike and just sell any bits they aren't sure of to unsuspecting people looking for a bargain.

If you are not sure if your bars are going to come apart in your hands in a sprint it's not worth having them. It's also not fair if you are going to sell your new bike build onwards, that you don't mention that the bars are third hand, and you don't know their history.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
All the soaps were on record lol... Not for me i prefer documentaries ad bbc3! The bars are from someone i trust he rides for ktm ive gave them some good yanking and heard nothing else, its just when i tighten the one bolt so could be the stem, ive heard of deda stems having bad threading?
Im riding the commute on it tommorrow will cover about 30 mile with a hell of a rough surface windey decent so if you dont hear from me by midnight the bars have snapped and im either in a bag or a&e :laugh:

Top Bottom