This bike costs £8599.99. Is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
ok, in which case I apologise for calling you a sofab!

This thread did seem to me - a relative newcomer to the forum as a load of jealous types, so if thats wrong, again apologies.

No worries... I've been called a lot worse :thumbsup:

I know you say you're new to CC, but if you're looking for somewhere where everyone gets on and we all take it in turns to politely agree with the OP then you're in the wrong place. Like any forum we're a total cross section of society and every view (including jealousy) will be represented somewhere along the line and there are going to be differences of opinion. That's what these discussions are all about. Get your point across if you don't agree with something, but try not to be too abusive if you can help it.

There is an incredible depth of knowledge in these parts too, and I learn something new every day when I log in. It's an invaluable resource and I hope you come to appreciate it as much as I do.

I'm lucky in that I can afford nice gear (though I wont be spending that amount) but I know at 50, with a back operation recently recovered from, shot knees, and probably overweight (100kg) and tall (6'3") I'm never going to win any races or justify buying a 3k bike in terms of getting the performance out of it, But then again I've worked damned hard for 30 years so I'm going to bloody buy one :-), oh and I'll probably put a triple on the front to make sure I can get up the hills too!

IMO that's a great attitude. I know how much more motivated I'd be to get out and ride if I had a £3k bike in the garage because between my two bikes I get a jolt of excitement if I know I'm on the carbon rather than the commuter. Injuries and fitness don't matter, you certainly don't have anything to prove. I get as much enjoyment at seeing myself improve i.e. beating myself than I do at beating somebody else. Just get out there and ride, and enjoy it.

lejogger

Guru
I'm seriously saying that over a 160 mile day there are some bikes that will be better for you than your Boardman - although, to be fair, I don't think it would make much difference on a 5 mile TT which is a straightforward exercise in converting power to motion.
I would think that over a 160 mile day there would be less of a difference between an £8k road bike and my Boardman than there would be in a time trial over any distance between my Boardman and a more expensive dedicated TT bike.

In a 160 mile ride example what benefits would there be? Nominal weight... smoother shifting from better quality components... more aerodynamic wheels with less wind and rolling resistance... Nominal frame aerodynamics... Possibly handling benefits?

We're forgetting that this Boardman frame design won Nicole Cooke Olympic gold 4 years ago in the women's road race. It's also helped Alistair Brownlee become world triathlon champion. It's a good frame!

Over a short time trial, yes it's a lot to do with power, but that's no good unless your bike is efficiently transmitting it to the tarmac or your aerodynamics are cutting massive holes in the wind.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
An £8k road bike will likely be faster over 160 mile than a £1k bike for the same power going in, how much faster will depend on your ability, the more power you put in, the more is wasted on a less efficient machine. An £8k bike, would generally convert more of your power into forward motion than a £1k bike through being very stiff where it matters. Add in the marginal aero benefits and the weight saving etc, then you will need less watts to go the same speed. So provided you put in the same power, you will go marginally faster again.

The Boardman is a great frame, as are many other frames. If you look back 4 years (just since you use the 2008 Olympic Road race as an example) you will see most entry level carbon bikes were the top end kit in those days. Back in 2008 some Pro tour teams were still on aluminium. Times are changing and new better designs are coming out every year.

GrasB

Veteran
Here's something interesting here is the effect of rolling resistance between a £350, £930 (strike) & £1650 (HED Jet) wheelset. EDIT: I used the same tyres & tubes for all runs.
Code:
                                        Time gained
                                  W/mph    15mph      30mph
Chinese Carbon rims/Tiagra Hubs  2.361    N/A        N/A
Reynolds Strike                  2.175    2.4s/mile  0.8s/mile
HED Jet 6/Disc FR                2.105    4.6s/mile  1.0s/mile
By this measure the lower the average output the more relative advantage you'll gain (a 1.9% time reduction v's a 0.8% time reduction)

measuring the 'rolling resistance' of a wheelset is a fallacy, because the wheelset is not in contact with the ground - the tyre is. The wheelset would only offer rolling resistance if you tried to ride without tyres....

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
And rolling resistance is low compared with wind resistance. And in the real world where there's wind, disc wheels are a bloody liability.

GrasB

Veteran
measuring the 'rolling resistance' of a wheelset is a fallacy, because the wheelset is not in contact with the ground - the tyre is. The wheelset would only offer rolling resistance if you tried to ride without tyres....
Rims flex & control the shape of the tyre, in addition to this you tend to measure the bearing friction with rolling resistance. A rim that shows a lot of radial or lateral flex will increase the rolling resistance of the wheel as a whole. Also a wheel which isn't laterally & radially true will eat up power, along with a wheel that has a variable effective bead seat. Wider bead seat will also lower the rolling resistance of tyre along with the shape of the tube inside the tyre & rim.

And rolling resistance is low compared with wind resistance. And in the real world where there's wind, disc wheels are a bloody liability.
Actually in the scheme of things once you're talking about comparing aero rims to aero rims the Crr advantages can be close to aero advantages. Comparing a quality box/semi-aero rim wheel build to true aero the aero differences will dominate.

Rims flex & control the shape of the tyre, in addition to this you tend to measure the bearing friction with rolling resistance. A rim that shows a lot of radial or lateral flex will increase the rolling resistance of the wheel as a whole. Also a wheel which isn't laterally & radially true will eat up power, along with a wheel that has a variable effective bead seat. Wider bead seat will also lower the rolling resistance of tyre along with the shape of the tube inside the tyre & rim.

are you making this up, or is there a study you can link to which supports any of this?

Lee_M

Guru
I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. if i was in the position to spend that much on a bike i think i probably would have donated it to the RNLI or some other good cause rather than spending it on me. each to their own though

not much call for the RNLI in Leytonstone is there :-)

I know what you mean but does that mean you should dispose of all your income on worthy causes?

I could (if I wanted to) afford to spend 8k on a bike, does that mean I'm not a worthy citizen compared to those who don't?

I pay a massive amount of tax already, so am paying a significant amount to the govt in the first place, and I contribute a significant amount to charity also, so why cant I spend some of my own post tax cash on myself too?

subaqua

What’s the point
not much call for the RNLI in Leytonstone is there :-)

I know what you mean but does that mean you should dispose of all your income on worthy causes?

I could (if I wanted to) afford to spend 8k on a bike, does that mean I'm not a worthy citizen compared to those who don't?

I pay a massive amount of tax already, so am paying a significant amount to the govt in the first place, and I contribute a significant amount to charity also, so why cant I spend some of my own post tax cash on myself too?

no, but 2 miles in a straight line is the coast( London is a coastal city due to the tidal reach all the way to teddington) , and the ILB does a great job . called out plenty every year.
they also help with marine safety checks on a lot of london based dive clubs.
As a diver they are the emergency services when we are out on hardboats and the RIB on the big wobbly.

the rest of your post makes you sound a little like the harry enfield character " significantly richer" . I hope that wasn't the intention. as i said in my post on the subject EACH TO THEIR OWN . or is selective reading of posts the derigeur thing

Lee_M

Guru
no, but 2 miles in a straight line is the coast( London is a coastal city due to the tidal reach all the way to teddington) , and the ILB does a great job . called out plenty every year.
they also help with marine safety checks on a lot of london based dive clubs.
As a diver they are the emergency services when we are out on hardboats and the RIB on the big wobbly.

the rest of your post makes you sound a little like the harry enfield character " significantly richer" . I hope that wasn't the intention. as i said in my post on the subject EACH TO THEIR OWN . or is selective reading of posts the derigeur thing

Shows you shouldn't believe everything you read on a forum then, as I read your original post to be smug and superior over those people that would choose to spend that sort of money, and I'm sure you don't see yourself in that way either

Also your choice of RNLI is hardly selfless is it? More like looking after yourself and your own particular interests, rather than a purely charitable act?

subaqua

What’s the point
Shows you shouldn't believe everything you read on a forum then, as I read your original post to be smug and superior over those people that would choose to spend that sort of money, and I'm sure you don't see yourself in that way either

Also your choice of RNLI is hardly selfless is it? More like looking after yourself and your own particular interests, rather than a purely charitable act?

was a governor member before i started diving. Penlee in 1981 when i was 9 had a profound effect . I took membership 9 years later at 18. all tips in work as a teenager went in the lifeboat box , and always have. I never lived close enough to a station to join properly as crew. London has a large waiting list.

Lee_M

Guru
Hi, didn't say it was wrong, just wanted to show how reading a forum post can give the wrong impression.

I've been known to sail too so understand their value :-)

Top Bottom