This bikes Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
^_^
Yes, the pedals are effectively in the same position, that’s the point. The L shape allows that to be a more biomechanically efficient position, all the time, than it would be with straight cranks.
and my point is you can draw a line (or there is a plane) between the spindle holes that passes thru the bottom.bracket (or it certainly appears that there is from the photo) so they are in exactly same biomechincal position as straight cranks.

*if they are slightly offset and the plane does pass thru bottom bracket then I take it back

I’m guessing that because the overall advantages diminish, the more ‘head down, arris up, smash smashy High Cadence’ the ride is, there was not enough advantage to be gained, for the mainstream to adopt this idea, and the cost / complexity / reliability issues, were prohibitive, given the narrowness of the conditions you’d need to satisfy, to have a big enough advantage are.

^_^
so they are in exactly same biomechincal position as straight cranks.

Not in relation to the entire riders leg and it’s attachment to the riders body it’s not. The other way to achieve the same trick, would be to have a saddle that rocked forwards and backwards, with a downward curve ( like a pea in a bowl, if you see what I mean) and I guess the rocking saddle idea, would look even dafter, cost lots, and not be popular with the ‘smashy smashy’ market either.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not in relation to the entire riders leg and it’s attachment to the riders body it’s not. The other way to achieve the same trick, would be to have a saddle that rocked forwards and backwards, with a downward curve ( like a pea in a bowl, if you see what I mean) and I guess the rocking saddle idea, would look even dafter, cost lots, and not be popular with the ‘smashy smashy’ market either.
No. The pedal are still rotating around the bottom.bracket in a circle. just take a step back and think about it, and or draw the hypotenuse in on the L shaped crank if that helps you visualise it.

midlife

Guru
No. The pedal are still rotating around the bottom.bracket in a circle. just take a step back and think about it, and or draw the hypotenuse in on the L shaped crank if that helps you visualise it.

Hypotenuse was the word I was struggling to find :smile:

I don’t need to visualise it, I’m right. It matters not a jot how the assembly rotates, until you put a person, with levers which can only move a certain amount, in certain planes, into the equation. that’s the key here.

midlife

Guru
Do a thought experiment...

1 weld a bar between the crank centre and the pedal spindle to make a triangle. Does it pedal any different? Nope.

2 Cut off the L part of the cranks. Does it pedal any different? Nope.

Did it being L shaped make any difference? Nope :smile:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I've got some snake oil and some magic beans for sale, if anyone is interested......

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
So there seemingly are no benefits to these shaped pedals , but I suppose that things have to be tried and tested , thanks for replies all ,
Cheers

midlife

Guru
Very Mercian looking forks but the shaped tubes and aero stuff is an 80's killer combo and wish it was mine...not to mention the drilled lugs :smile:

Top Bottom