This can't be legal... A sail on a recumbent!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saw this at a cafe (Roots) on Sunday.

View attachment 119731

Now surely this kinda setup can't be legal on UK roads? A gust of wind (and it was very windy on Sunday) could blow him into the road or a truck passing could blow him off the road?

Also I hope he's not uploading his rides (or sails) to Strava, this takes wind doping to a whole new level!! ^_^

Anyone seen anything like this monstrosity before or even know if it is legal?

Yes ...........Kevin DTEK has shown these at Mildenhall Cycle Rally and hires them out
Complete with fetching yellow trawlermans outfit (optional) !
They go like the wind :notworthy:

PaulM

Guru
Yes, but all the drivers complain, "You're too low, I can't see you!. Get a flag!!" :biggrin:LOL

OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
So they ARE legal. Bloody hell. I'll be keeping an eye on the local news, I'm pretty sure he'll end up in a ditch or worse with all this wind we are getting.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Many years ago I read in a cycling mag (Can't remember which) that some long distance tourers on the continent had a device like a kite attached to the back of their bikes and could be opened out with a cable to take advantage of a tailwind. Never seen it myself, tho.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I thought that was the 15 foot flag pole thing some politician dude wanted. Just the pole part is wider and you lot mistake it for a sail.

Those politicians really don't think things thru.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So they ARE legal. Bloody hell. I'll be keeping an eye on the local news, I'm pretty sure he'll end up in a ditch or worse with all this wind we are getting.

Sand yachts are easy to steer in a straight Line and spilling the wind out of the sail is easy. I cannot see why a sail on a trike would be a problem.

I make Sails for a living :0)

Top Bottom