This can't be legal... A sail on a recumbent!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am the UK representative for Whike. Been enjoying your conversation! Any questions?

Also who is this Kevin DTEK? I was wondering where he got some of our Trikes from !

:laugh:

"Who is THIS Kevin DTEK?"

That is a bit like saying who the hell are Whike trikes?

Actually, its not because I live in Denmark and know who Kevin is, but had never heard of whike trikes before.

The fact that you are the UK rep for Whike trikes and do not know Kevin is a bit of a shocker as he possibly sells more Whike trikes than you do. Everybody in recumbent circles know who DTEK is and certainly know Kevin. He has a place in Little Thetford, near Ely, Cambridgeshire where he rents and sells all sorts of recumbents. He can get his hands on basically any recumbent you want. He has been doing it for years and in probably best contacted through the Velovision site. But he is always busy and it can be a job getting in touch with him.

I would imagine he is one of the top recumbent salesman in the country.

http://www.misterwhat.co.uk/company/2412615-dtek-hpvs-ely

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/resources/advice/trailers.html

Last edited:

Lanky

OMG! I have been spotted ☺ So far, I have not had a trip to the bushes, even though some of the winds of late have been 'interesting'. It is very stable. I have been passed by lots of lorrys, busses, tractors, vans in winds up to 30mph without no problem whatsoever. But I will say that horses hate it. I think the lage flappy bit stickyup thing does not help. I have to admit that on one stretch of quite road, I did a bit of tacking☺. It's a pain in the ass being 'in irons'. Like most recumbents I get alot of double takes. I have even been followed by a helecopter. This year I am hoping to to do a bit of cyclecamping with it. It is a shame you cant take it on a train.​

Lanky

I bought mine secondhand from Ned at Whike. To be honest, I was saving for a ICE Adventure or a Kettwisel, but at a critical moment, much of my savings went down the pan. So I started looking for a used trike and much to my surprise, Ned had one at that moment. Being secondhand and ex-rental I have slowly replaced various bits. The Whike is at its best in flats, open spaces. North Yorkshire is nor either, so I have dropped the gears somewhat.

My Whike has 2 speeds, without the wind, slow and a bit faster. And 2 speeds with the wind, fast and clean underpants required. I use the sail, 90% of the time. The only times I don't use it are, very high winds and through the city... because of trees and low signs. A roads, no problem. A few months ago, I was traveling the A172 with 30 mph winds, gusting up to 50 being passed by a steady stream of heavy traffic. The Whike was rock solid, and never deviated a inch. The mast is made out of carbon fibre and flexes in the wind. You have to work hard to tip a Whike in the wind but like a lot of things it is possible. If you think it might tip then all you do is let go of the sail (mainsheet). It is completely legal, very safe and very visible, which means it is more difficult to sneak up a one way street without anyone noticing. Like all recumbent trikes, you can also use it without the sail. When I ark out how to use this tablet, I will post some piccys ☺

All of the pictures seem to feature trikes but a couple of years ago I saw a recumbent cycle with a sail. As has been mentioned you do take a double, I at first thought it was a sail board, and then you realize that it has got wheels, and then you see that it is a cycle. The cyclist had cycled from Malmesbury about 10 to 12 miles away.

Top Bottom