This cheered me up no end :

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
"It could be within a decade or two, or several centuries away."

In other words, no politician today is going to give a t*ss about doing anything to mitigate the situation.

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
"It could be within a decade or two, or several centuries away."

In other words, no politician today is going to give a t*ss about doing anything to mitigate the situation.
Unfortunately l think you are dead right, wouldn't it be ironic if more by luck than judgement, the coronavirus in its various forms was finally put to rest , only for humanity to be largely wiped out by our own actions and inactions ?

Gillstay

Über Member
Very few people seem to realise the imminent danger our societies are in and fewer still seem to be reacting in a fitting manner. We get one or two small actions and then they are watered down. For instance, we have very good ecotyres now and a good range, so how about specifying that all UK cars should have them from new.

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Very few people seem to realise the imminent danger our societies are in and fewer still seem to be reacting in a fitting manner. We get one or two small actions and then they are watered down. For instance, we have very good ecotyres now and a good range, so how about specifying that all UK cars should have them from new.
Vested interest , and who can say how much leverage it has when it comes to influencing spineless politicians ....more than enough l would guess !

winjim

Smash the cistern
Your concern that actions are being watered down is somewhat undermined by your assertion that changing car tyres will make a blind bit of difference to anything.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Had to laugh at the sub headline.... "A shutdown would have devastating global impacts and must not be allowed to happen, researchers say."

Sorry to be a prophet of doom, but I think anything we do now will be too little, too late. A bit like trying to bail out the Titanic with a pint jug in the hours before she went down. We're done for, and it's just a matter of time.

Gillstay

Über Member
Your concern that actions are being watered down is somewhat undermined by your assertion that changing car tyres will make a blind bit of difference to anything.
I was trying to use it as a clear example of something that could be esily done as there are many similar things that goverments could do and that would help but seemingly so show little interest in. I feel we are too late already and have stated so for atleast 25 years, but I do not believe we should stop trying to do our best. I would happily be wrong and doing the right stuff and advising others is positive I find.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Had to laugh at the sub headline.... "A shutdown would have devastating global impacts and must not be allowed to happen, researchers say."

Sorry to be a prophet of doom, but I think anything we do now will be too little, too late. A bit like trying to bail out the Titanic with a pint jug in the hours before she went down. We're done for, and it's just a matter of time.

Every tenth of a degree of warming we can avoid, is much suffering of our and other species averted.

Its very sad (annoying frustrating, downright maddening) that this issue only just now is becoming mainstream.

This eco cide has been committed, encouraged permitted for far longer than should ever have happened..

But there's a chance, that we might at least, let ourselves down a little more gracefully.

Its still worth a try, so at least we're not thumbing our noses, at the generations to come.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The sad thing is it will take something catastrophic before people are forced to take climate change seriously enough to do something about it... even now.

We used to design buildings in the 70s which used half the energy used by buildings designed to Building Regs... it was easy back then because people didn't care about energy conservation- even though we were seen as tree-hugging environmentalist weirdos.

Ironically we now struggle to design buildings that use 20% less energy than building designed to the current Building Regs... the differences are getting harder to achieve as standards tighten down on energy use and waste... but people still think we are taking things too seriously!! It's unbelievable and a measure of the populist culture in the UK that the views of environmentalists are still largely ignored and considered to be the ravings of weirdos.

It isn't tyres that we need to redesign, it's the entire transport network that supports personal transport over national mass transport infrastructure systems. Ultimately it's all got to change because it has to, and one day it will, as the current system is unsustainable, but people prefer not to think about it.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The sad thing is it will take something catastrophic before people are forced to take climate change seriously enough to do something about it... even now.

We used to design buildings in the 70s which used half the energy used by buildings designed to Building Regs... it was easy back then because people didn't care about energy conservation- even though we were seen as tree-hugging environmentalist weirdos.

Ironically we now struggle to design buildings that use 20% less energy than building designed to the current Building Regs... the differences are getting harder to achieve as standards tighten down on energy use and waste... but people still think we are taking things too seriously!! It's unbelievable and a measure of the populist culture in the UK that the views of environmentalists are still largely ignored and considered to be the ravings of weirdos.

It isn't tyres that we need to redesign, it's the entire transport network that supports personal transport over national mass transport infrastructure systems. Ultimately it's all got to change because it has to, and one day it will, as the current system is unsustainable, but people prefer not to think about it.

Its the show me the 100% proof that climate change is happening as you say it will brigade that drive me nuts..

So despite overwhelming evidence from 98% of the pan global scientific community that all this stuff is happening , and will happen , you still want more evidence.??

Only an unlivable planet will be enough evidence from some .

And then what??

Having been in the tree hugging game for almost as long as yourself, I wear my eco freak weirdo label with pride nowadays.

What's to be ashamed of.??

Why would you not want a cleaner, greener, more socially just system of living for all of us.??

Brandane

Legendary Member
Its still worth a try, so at least we're not thumbing our noses, at the generations to come.
When it comes to the bit in bold, I have done the best thing possible for the future of the planet (note: the planet; not the human race), and a small contribution to climate change, by NOT reproducing!
The vast majority of the problems on this planet, including climate change, could be prevented if there weren't so many of us consuming all the planet's resources. A LOT less of us, obviously. Nature has it's ways of controlling these things though, which is a bit of a worry for the younger inhabitants. I've had a good time during my time here, and feel fortunate to have lived through the golden age of just about everything, and avoided being involved in wars (so far) - but I have a real feeling that the good days for the human race are over.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
When it comes to the bit in bold, I have done the best thing possible for the future of the planet (note: the planet; not the human race), and a small contribution to climate change, by NOT reproducing!
The vast majority of the problems on this planet, including climate change, could be prevented if there weren't so many of us consuming all the planet's resources. A LOT less of us, obviously. Nature has it's ways of controlling these things though, which is a bit of a worry for the younger inhabitants. I've had a good time during my time here, and feel fortunate to have lived through the golden age of just about everything, and avoided being involved in wars (so far) - but I have a real feeling that the good days for the human race are over.

Limiting family size is definitely a personal contribution that has value, just like not doing, or actively doing many other things.

Limiting family size usually comes alongside better education and empowerment of women too.
So good news both ways.

But it's not even the numbers of people, it's the amount each individual consumes and pollutes.

One westernised lifestyle contributes / uses a whole lot more carbon / fossil fuel footprint wise than a person in a country with more modest, or better adapted lifestyle expectations.

Although there is still an abundance of natural resources, available to all of us , in the form of contemporary sunlight, and its products..

We're just not so great at managing them for the long term right now.

Its up to governments ultimately to make the systemic changes that are necessary..

Its up to us as citizens to push our administrations to make these changes.
Tell them we think it's urgent, that we give a shoot.

Glad you've enjoyed your life so far though.
Misery is a costly thing, to body and soul.

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Its the show me the 100% proof that climate change is happening as you say it will brigade that drive me nuts..

So despite overwhelming evidence from 98% of the pan global scientific community that all this stuff is happening , and will happen , you still want more evidence.??

Only an unlivable planet will be enough evidence from some .

And then what??

Having been in the tree hugging game for almost as long as yourself, I wear my eco freak weirdo label with pride nowadays.

What's to be ashamed of.??

Why would you not want a cleaner, greener, more socially just system of living for all of us.??
Perhaps in the long run this planet will thrive once again without human beings, no comfort for us but this one rare and special place in our knowable universe will regenerate one way or another despite our best efforts to destroy it ....

Top Bottom