"This email address is part of a reserved domain"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My daughter is trying to get email set up on her new HP laptop, but when she tries to log her address it offers two options: @outlook.com, or @hotmail.com. There's also a link to 'use a different email address'. Fine. Sounds good. So, we fill in her address, which is xxxxxx@hotmail.co.uk, but when she tries to use that, it comes up with This email address is part of a reserved domain. Please use a different email address.

Well, she doesn't have a different email address; this is her email address.

I've been googling for the last 20 minutes trying to find a solution, but it all gets very complicated and way over my head, so I'm hoping someone here might be able to explain, in language a greyhead can understand, what the hell it means and how I can get past this.

Why is such a simple thing so difficult?

midlife

Guru
Is there an option to skip it or use your email account.

Shaun

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4254380, member: 259"]Hotmail can sometimes cause odd problems. Have you tried it with another email account, like a Google one or an apple one?[/QUOTE]
Thanks, but no. That's the only one she has. You wouldn't have thought a Hotmail address would cause problems, even if it is .co.uk rather than .com.

midlife

Guru
Is us something simple like it already knows you have a hotmail address and all you type is the part before the @?

Shaun

When you say "Set her email up" Can you elaborate a bit on what she is trying to do?

For the Windows account? Through an email program? If so, which program?

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks, but no. That's the only one she has. You wouldn't have thought a Hotmail address would cause problems, even if it is .co.uk rather than .com.
There were changes made to .com addresses, but not .co.uk, by hotmail about six months ago. whether that makes any great difference I don't know.

If you're trying to set up an account to log in to Windows with, the account may be inactive if it's not been used for a while. Check that it can be logged in properly via hotmail.com

If you log in with a different account, and you're trying to add this is an alias to another outlook account. Then you can't as they're both separate Microsoft accounts.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone. I'm going to have to ask her some of these questions before I can give any sensible answers, but as I understand it, she's used to being able to click on a 'tile' called Mail and send & receive email messages from there, but she's been unable to get this to work using her hotmail.co.uk address, because she just gets this 'part of a reserved domain' message. I'll try to ask her tomorrow and come back. In the meantime, thanks again.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My @hotmail.co.uk address is working fine for my Windows tablet log in today and is getting emails in and out. Could she try clearing the cache and cookies etc before trying again, just to be belt and braces with it.

The @hotmail.co.uk does have the odd quirk and funny moment now and again.

Another thought might be to quickly set up a hotmail/outlook/live.com account and then try to link her existing .co.uk one to that from inside it (if you can still do this with MS email accounts) and see if she still gets the reserved domain problem, that would point back more at it being a problem with the email account itself than some odd quirk going on in the HP laptop.

Top Bottom