This has got to be a scam.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
About an hour ago I put a Barbour jacket on Marketplace, and within five minutes get a response, from a woman who lives in Nantes according to her profile, here's how the conversation goes -

Screenshot_20221127_104025.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
SCAM

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
It's only a £40 jacket as well, unless the courier suddenly couldn't give me cash, and then it's bank details time. 😂

But what is the scam

you get the cash - check it is all there - go and get the jacket and hand it over - video the whole thing as evidence
You have proof that it has all happened but they don't

so - maybe they claim they never got the jacket? demand a refund from Marketplace??
UPS person is not real??
they turn up with less money - but then you can just refuse to get the jacket - but it does put pressure on you to accept the lower price
Fake money?

dunno - anyone seen this is real life and how it goes down??

berty bassett

Legendary Member
total scam - happens a lot on Facebook - not sure how it works as never gone through with it , but check their profile and sure they will have just joined , no friends or pics just somehow after something for nothing

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
How it works. I googled "UPS collection scam" This was the first (of many!) results

https://www.thatsnonsense.com/the-ups-delivery-facebook-marketplace-scam-how-it-works/

Last edited:
OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
But what is the scam

you get the cash - check it is all there - go and get the jacket and hand it over - video the whole thing as evidence
You have proof that it has all happened but they don't

so - maybe they claim they never got the jacket? demand a refund from Marketplace??
UPS person is not real??
they turn up with less money - but then you can just refuse to get the jacket - but it does put pressure on you to accept the lower price
Fake money?

dunno - anyone seen this is real life and how it goes down??

I'd imagine that there's a problem with getting the cash to UPS, so they'll need my bank details instead.

si_c

Guru
I'd imagine that there's a problem with getting the cash to UPS, so they'll need my bank details instead.

Not quite, you'll get an email from UPS advising that an insurance payment is required for the cash delivery. As to why the buyer doesn't need to pay insurance on their money I don't know.

But obvious scam is obvious.

Top Bottom