This helmet could save your life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I don't wear a helmet*, recumbent trike riders really have to try to fall off, but If I were to buy one I'd look at this one seriously, so long as the construction is as good as it looks.

*When I commuted to work on an upright bike I did.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hmm - their

"Maintaining a subtle urban style" is NO replacement for lights on the bike.

If I'm driving, I really don't want to be spending time wondering wt* that "thing" in front may be, just cos it's a cyclist (sensibly) looking behind him.

Not impressed.
Surely wondering what that thing in front is will stop you running into it?

Anything that shows up in the dark and makes a driver think is a good thing. Needs to be coupled with a well lit bike obviously

Licramite

Über Member
and theres evidence that suggest they increase the risk of some kinds of injury in te event of a crash.

there is no evidence to this, it has been suggested by some medical professionals, but theres no empirical evidence to back it up.
which of course doesn't mean helmets don't in some circumstances contribute to the injuries
so its up to you

I think its a brilliant idea. - my only worry is often you see a light but can,t work out what your looking at , I think you still need lights or reflectors on the bike to give a driver a better idea of whats there.

but as an idea I like it.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Hmm - their promo video.

"Maintaining a subtle urban style" is NO replacement for lights on the bike.

If I'm driving, I really don't want to be spending time wondering wt* that "thing" in front may be, just cos it's a cyclist (sensibly) looking behind him.

Not impressed.

Huh? Surely that's the point. Something that's red and visible, that switches to a sliver of white as a cyclist checks his six... That's going to be one of the most noticeable things on the road.

You subconciously do the same thing on the road. If driving down a country lane you'll try to judge the size of the oncoming vehicle by the size and height of the lights. If they're low and close together you assume it's a smaller vehicle, and vice versa.

Your pause for thought buys everyone time, buys everyone safety.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I like this. If I were a helmeter, I'd be interested.

Obviously, and as others have said, you would need bike mounted lighting as well.

Sara_H

Guru
Not looking to start an argument or come across as a pro helmet advocate, just really interested in sensible debate and new approaches to problems......... Have you considered that the potential safety advantages of being well lit may on balance reduce the possibility of being involved in an accident of some kind?
Just curious.

I'm already well lit, and very reflective - I don't think this helmet would add much from that point of view. And all the disadvantages of wearing a helmet would still apply.

akb

Veteran
Anything designed to increase rider visibility is only positive, so this teamed with the legal requirement of front and rear lights is good. I think once they have been around for a while, people will start to look out for them, above car roof level. So a possible tool for reducing smidsy in traffic. All IMO of course :biggrin:

StuartG

slower but further
I worry about the 'common sense' thing that this must be a good idea. The more fairy lights the better idea?

Are they? I haven't a clue. I do know sometimes I get confused, as a motorist, by too many lights going too many ways and hence dangerously losing the plot. Which is why I have reservations on car day running lights which don't help me spot the single light that immediately and indeed almost unconsciously tells you there is a more vulnerable motorcyclist about.

I have the same probs with High Viz which can outshine bike lights so you don't immediately whether its a static road worker or a moving cyclist. I guess you might say I shouldn't be behind a wheel. But the stats suggest the majority are even worse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom