This is a FULL box of soap powder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Larger box gives flexibility in packaging element of manufacturing process to use the same dimension box for different weights of product, varying over time or product line, which outweighs the potential savings in material.
Plus ease of distribution and stacking the shelves.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm not sure how I became so involved (albeit at a low level) with checkweighers, settings and tolerances...probably because everyone wants to delegate (shove it down the line) responsibility to someone else.
Our checkweighers can automatically calculate tolerances once youve input the nominal weight although you can switch off and on some of those settings, plus add tolerances for acceptable overweight etc etc
Pretty sure our acceptable tolerances are 5% although that may be an agreement with the customer, plus it's a perishable product that loses water content.
Took me ages to understand T1 and T2 and all the meanings, ironically it's not rocket science, I'm a bit slow to absorb things sometimes.

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm not sure how I became so involved (albeit at a low level) with checkweighers, settings and tolerances...probably because everyone wants to delegate (shove it down the line) responsibility to someone else.
Our checkweighers can automatically calculate tolerances once youve input the nominal weight although you can switch off and on some of those settings, plus add tolerances for acceptable overweight etc etc
Pretty sure our acceptable tolerances are 5% although that may be an agreement with the customer, plus it's a perishable product that loses water content.
Took me ages to understand T1 and T2 and all the meanings, ironically it's not rocket science, I'm a bit slow to absorb things sometimes.
Most times it seems to be QA who keep a tight grip on the settings, you must just be unlucky.

What make do you use?

gbb

Legendary Member
Most times it seems to be QA who keep a tight grip on the settings, you must just be unlucky.

What make do you use?
Marco provide integrated batch weight, conveying and check weighing systems . (British company but they maybe used licenced hardware...but equally it may be British manufactred)
There are also a couple of older OCS checkweighers but they're virtually obsolete now and need replacing to cope with the throughput we need.
We (the engineering dept) always said it was a QA / QC function but it seems the turnover of staff we have nowadays means the engineering dept is seen as the only stable and reliable team within the company and others have now come to rely on us to get things done.

Going off topic, but sort of on topic, there's speculation that Ferrari were manipulating the breathers so oil vapour itself was being burned as a fuel at high engine loads. I suspect their road cars do much the same after 20 or 30 thousand miles.

No, it was the fuel flow rate that had been tampered with. There is supposed to be a maximum flow rate which cannot be exceeded. Which Ferrari did.

Funny that, the FIA came down hard on the teams that have done it inadvertantly... But then everyone knows that the FIA stands for Ferrari International Assistance...

Enough OT though ;)

I know that Amazon use only a couple of sizes to speed up packing, although having seen their packers in action I'm amazed that they are still able to differentiate between them at the speed they work.

For boxes though a modern cartoner doesn't take long to do a size change on, although I suppose it could be that the supplier of the boxes sells them cheaper in one size rather than different ones.

They use at least 90 different sizes apparently. It's like train spotting for some people !

https://awesomers.com/a-catalog-of-amazon-box-sizes

classic33

Leg End Member
OT: "Mars Bar's current size is another surprising revelation, having increased 4g since the 1960s to reach 65g in the 1990s. But that was its peak: it’s since shrunk back down to 51g."
Bitd there was a long term offer in the local market (and no doubt elsewhere): two proper sized Mars Bars for 10 pence (bought individually they cost 7 pence (rrp). Trouble was that, buying 2 for 10p wasn't a saving; for obvious reasons, unless one was prepared to surrender the second to a friend and judged your genoerosity would be recognised as worth more than 3p (I wasn't).
It's been 39.4g for a while now.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thank you so much for your interest and that (in)correction. Perhaps it varies from home nation to home nation, and you guys are being sold 'not for individual sale' items from a multi-pack.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/281026563
1610103941686.png

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mars-Bar-51-Pack-48/dp/B003TCOJY4 (Box of 48 for the addict)
"There is nothing new, different, special about these Mars Bars, they are the normal bog-standard bars you can pick-up from your local store."

classic33

Leg End Member
Thank you so much for your interest and that (in)correction. Perhaps it varies from home nation to home nation, and you guys are being sold 'not for individual sale' items from a multi-pack.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/281026563
View attachment 567859
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mars-Bar-51-Pack-48/dp/B003TCOJY4 (Box of 48 for the addict)
"There is nothing new, different, special about these Mars Bars, they are the normal bog-standard bars you can pick-up from your local store."
Multi pack ones have a yellow mark on one end, marked not to be resold.

Downsized(46.5) when the sugar tax came in, and downsized(39.4) again since. Sold from boxes left on the shelf.

Multi pack weight were downsized in 2004 to 46.5.

Ajax Bay

Guru
??
I said (well quoted, actually): " Mars Bar's current size is . . . 51g." (Post #14)
Not sure whether you are disagreeing or not, or just adding colour. Various sizes of mini-mars bar and various multi-packs are also available, and have been for most of our lifetimes. So maybe you latched on to the OP's request (Post #13) not to get him started on 4-pack bar sizes, in which case: understood.
But (and trying to haul back to this thread's topic) the packaging of any size of Mars Bar is such that the size of the bar therein is as expected, unlike soap powder, and other granulated or liquid items sold (by volume or weight) in opaque packaging.
Now back to the much more interesting issue of volume shrinkage of fuel with temperature and the right time of day to buy.

Sold by weight not volume, there's probably an e mark next to the declared weight to confirm it.

Although considering the amount of boxes produced, how much could the manufacturer save on cardboard if the reduced the height of the box by 2"?
Some people don't check the weight. Bigger the box the more soap powder it contains....not

I remember when there was loads complaints about chocolate bars getting bigger because manufacturers were competing by increasing the size. followed latter by complaints that the manufacturers were ripping people of by making them smaller.
Burtons insist that they have not reduced the size of Wagon wheels. We are just remembering them from when we were children.
Both our hands and more importantly our mouths have got bigger.
I was hit by lorry when I was nine while eating a wagon wheel so I am unable to say if they are lieing.

Top Bottom