This is amazing!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
HLaB said:
I've seen that clip hundred's of times but I never tire of watching it, especially knowing a lot of the areas. That bike shop you see him on the roof of is where I bought my Bianchi ;-)

Snap! Seeing so many familiar places being used in such unusual ways makes it extra-special.

He's just incredible. The courage required to do these things is immense - you sometimes don't get a feeling of the scale of the distances & heights he's jumping from the camera's perspective. Knowing the places for real just adds to the sense of awe.

It's been posted many times here, but it's always worth watching again.

And again!

And I love the music! :sad:

buggi

Bird Saviour
twentysix by twentyfive said:
Wonderful stuff. How does anyone "train" for that?

There is a piece of wasteland next to where i work. A building was knocked down and all that's left is the concrete base. The locals kids have claimed it for this kind of stuff. they build very rickety ramps and all sorts... sometimes i watch them out of the window and cringe as they fly up a ramp that i'm surprised holds. They are probably the next generation of these guys...

my brother got put in hospital once when he was little when he crashed his bike. he admitted to me about a month ago that he put a piece of wood up the kerb, as a makeshift ramp, and tried to use it to do a BMX jump over the road name sign. WHAT A DICK.. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha LMAO the road kerb is 4 inches high, the road name sign was 2 foot after his ramp and 3 foot high. needless to say he didn't even take off from the ramp/pavement... and just rode up the ramp and straight into the road sign at about as fast as he could get his BMX bike to go. PMSL. He never told me mom that at the time!

buggi

Bird Saviour
LMAO i just remembered something else he told me... he wasn't even on his BMX. he was on his Chopper! like that's gonna take off ha ha :becool:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I love the way the passers-by rush over to see where the bike went but he's always gone before they get there.

just jim

HLaB said:
I've seen that clip hundred's of times but I never tire of watching it, especially knowing a lot of the areas. That bike shop you see him on the roof of is where I bought my Bianchi ;-)

And my trusty Raliegh!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
twentysix by twentyfive said:
Wonderful stuff. How does anyone "train" for that?

Touche said:
Painfully
Too right!

15-odd years ago, I spotted some kids playing about on their bikes in Hebden Bridge. They'd always be trying to hop on and off walls, park benches, waste bins and the like. I thought they were mad and that they would soon get tired of hurting themselves, but no - they stuck at it. Over a period of years, they got better and better. Eventually, one of them got a pro contract and now tours the world competing and doing exhibition rides!

I think 4 qualities are needed:
  1. A good sense of balance
  2. Determination - it takes years to get that good
  3. The ability to tolerate pain (they pick up lots of cuts and bruises)
  4. Courage (some of the stuff they fall off is pretty scary)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
ColinJ said:
I think 4 qualities are needed:
  1. A good sense of balance
  2. Determination - it takes years to get that good
  3. The ability to tolerate pain (they pick up lots of cuts and bruises)
  4. Courage (some of the stuff they fall off is pretty scary)

Given some of the faceplant videos you see them perform on YouTube when their jumps/hops/drops go wrong, I'd add ' the wealthiness to afford expensive dental reconstructive surgery' as an additional quality... :rofl:

Just goes to show - the broad term "cycling" covers a huge multitude of sins, and what I think of as "cycling" as I do it, is only a tiny part of the spectrum of what cycling is all about. Hats off to this lad for his skill and sheer exuberance! I know I'm too old and I shall keep to pedalling serenely on the road thanks!

Incidentally this is one aspect where I can forgive the low saddle. But I beg to be allowed to continue to cringe, when I see kids just going along on the road with saddle inches above B/B...:rofl:

itchyrider said:
Hey rich, Hope you dont mind me asking but, Where do cyclists in brighton go when its london to brighton day? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Always wanted to ask this question...............
May I take that question as directed towards me, too? Living as we do, a few hundred yards from Ditchling Common which is slap bang on the route, we have to regard L2B day as a day needing special care. One of our favourite walks, on any other day, is across the Common, round the pond, then across the road to a pleasant woodland walk south-east of the Common proper. That walk is - alas - a no-no on that day. You simply cannot cross the road. On any other day, cars notwithstanding, there's never a problem, but on that day....:biggrin:

Doesn't stop me, on the odd occasion, positioning myself near the small car-park at the foot of Ditchling Beacon (a few miles south of the Common) watching the L2Bers summoning up their last reserves of energy before plunging into the climb (those that do ride it, that is).

I've never been tempted to join in the big L2B...

Top Bottom