This is getting silly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I fully agree that the use of radios in cycling should be stopped and have stated that here several times in the past. The fact that the UCI is looking into the matter and have already stopped their use in U23 races also indicates that they are coming around to that line of thought.

To ensure that the troubles between the UCI and ASO continue and to show who is the boss at running cycling Rudehomme is reported to be taking yet another thing unilaterally into is hands:

Prudhomme considers Tour de France stages without race radios
Ivan Rovny wired for communications during the recent Eroica race in Italy
Photo ©: Roberto Bettini
Director of the Tour de France, Christian Prudhomme, is considering the idea of banning race radios in the 2008 Tour de France. The Frenchman might prohibit the use of the devices that allow for rider-director sportif communication in the mountains stages.

He said to Belgium's Het Nieuwsblad that he is studying "the idea of banning the race radio in some of the stages of the Tour, maybe in the mountains [stages]."

The International Cycling Union (UCI) announced on February 15 that it formed a "working group" to "treat the question of radio transmissions and coaching during competitions. In particular, it will consider the use of earphones." It decided to go ahead and ban the devices for Under 23 races. The issue, and its regards to top-tier professional races is expected at UCI Management Committee meeting in Copenhagen this June, while more information is expected from Prudhomme as the Tour nears.

Unquote

Having got away with snubbing the UCI at the Paris - Nice race he now sees himself as the unelected leader of world cycling and can change the UCI rules as he sees fit. The teams will soon realise that backing him against the UCI was a big mistake.

yenrod

I am all for the banning of radios !

As for the teams regretting going with Prudhomme...I dont feel its that serious BUT...the Tour is THE biggest race in the world: its what cyclings know for..so I feel that Prudhome will have the Holy Grail and the UCI can only wish for things to change - i'd even go as far as say things may even go legal: which would be greatly sad as McQuaid is a real power jobby ! = big fight!

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
No Dave that's not as I see it.

So, Keith. You don't want radios.- correct

ASO don't.- Correct, but only in the mountains
UCI won't take action. - Wrong, as the report said they have already taken some action and further debate/decisions will be made in June.
ASO do.- Yes - but only after the UCI have started to look into it and making sure it's introduced so that they will not be seen as following the UCI's lead
ASO are in the wrong? - Correct, - In nearly everything they do when it comes to dealing with the UCI

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So the UCI are going to think about it for a while and then have a meeting in June to talk about it a bit more!

Tetedelacourse

Hmm, I'm not sure about banning radios as I'm not sure it would lead to more exciting racing?

The riders wear radios in order to have as much information as possible on their opponents, right? So they can tell when their opponents are about to crack or just have cracked for example. And to relay how big the gaps are between grupettos, the peloton and (hail exalted!) tete de la course.

What I'm unsure of is whether not having this knowledge would lead to better or more exciting racing or not. Doubtless it would allow groups to get away more, but then we wouldn't see the peloton cranking up, or individual GC contenders measuring their effort as well.

I don't know! Convince me!

On the subject of ASO vs UCI well this actually has altered my opinion slightly towards Keith's POV. The UCI seem to at least be attempting the diplomatic approach, ASO is blatantly belittling them. And while IMO ASO hold all the cards, it's not very dignified.

walker

How long have radio's successfully been in the peleton anyway? 10 years roughly? maybe less. so relative to the sport it's still only a new inclusion. we did'nt have trouble for the 100 years before that so why would we now?

mondobongo

Über Member
Shock horror ASO take action whilst UCI sit on the fence muttering to themselves. Is it to keep the very public feud going or is it more likely that ASO want an electric Tour this year with people and the media talking about racing and attacking riding rather than doping.

yello

The Tour de France has always always been it's own race. I'm sure you know the history; rules have been changed before at the whim of the director. It's part of the madness, imho. Prudhomme is simply continuing in that tradition. The fact that UCI are scheduling meetings to discuss the possibilities of producing a discussion document to table at a future meeting to discuss etc etc etc..... is immaterial!

is it more likely that ASO want an electric Tour this year with people and the media talking about racing and attacking riding rather than doping.

Yes, I believe so. I really don't think ASO gives too much of a shoot what UCI thinks. ASO is organising its race as it sees fit... as the TdF organisers have always done.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't see it quite that way girofan, the UCI are the elected world body for the sport and I believe that's what they are trying to do. I concede that they have not been as pro active as they should have been in getting onto the drug problem, I'll also agree that maybe some change of direction is needed at the UCI either in thoughts or persons in high places but they are the ones that should be supported!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

girofan

I consider that we are in broad agreement Keith, but the devil is in the detail.
I see it as at least the ASO is trying to do something positive for cycling. Whether the objectives they pursue eventually turn out to be self-serving only history can decide. But at least they ARE taking action. Whereas the UCI seem to be bogged down in committee and the ego trips of Verbruggen and his stooge McQuaid. Their lack of affirmative action, IMO, has led to the organisers taking pre-ememtive and drastic measures, which are not neccissarily within their remit.
If the UCI wish to restore some semblence of credibility, they should talk immediately to ASO and Zomegnan with a little humility and admit their failings in an effort to establish common ground before things escalate to such an extent that neither party can recant.

Top Bottom