This is my new bike, will I need hydraulic disk brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WJC1981

Hi everyone

I am new to road cycling and this will be my first bike,I have been on a friends road bike a few times and really enjoy it.

https://www.cube.eu/en/2020/bikes/road/road/attain/cube-attain-race-blacknwhite-2020/

First of all what are your views on this? I was wondering if I needed to change out for hydraulic disk brakes and how much it might cost. I have read that these disc brakes are pretty good though. Im registered disabled so will probabaly only do an hour a day on it.

dodgy

Have you got the bike yet?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you want hydraulic disc brakes bike buy them fitted to the bike, changing won't be financially viable. As above cable operated should work fine.

dodgy

And top tip, never ask for an opinion of a bike you've already bought, it's already done. You'll be fine on that Cube.

Slick

Guru
Looks like a really nice bike and I've noticed a few members do like those brakes but I never got on with them and changed them but only after a couple of years of all weather riding. I mention the all weather riding as some would say it's more to do with lack of maintenance that you didn't like those brakes as there is a small actuating arm on these that kept sticking on with me especially in winter and I just got fed up with them and changed over to hydraulic. That said, you will be fine. :okay:

DRM

Guru
in a word, no TRP Spyres are as good as it gets with mechanical discs, setup correctly they will stop you no problem, my bike has them and they're pretty good, the cost to go even mechanical/hydraulic hybrid will cost at least £150 plus fitting if you're not able to DIY

OP
OP
W

WJC1981

Looks like a really nice bike and I've noticed a few members do like those brakes but I never got on with them and changed them but only after a couple of years of all weather riding. I mention the all weather riding as some would say it's more to do with lack of maintenance that you didn't like those brakes as there is a small actuating arm on these that kept sticking on with me especially in winter and I just got fed up with them and changed over to hydraulic. That said, you will be fine. :okay:
Thanks for your reply, I cant wait to get on it

CXRAndy

Guru
Some mechanical disc brakes work very well. Try them

Hydraulic brakes are the best for performance.

Yes you can upgrade, but its generally not economic to do the upgrade. Buy a bike with hydraulic brakes already fitted.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The best Mechanical disc brakes are Avid BB7's - lots of people swear by them. Probably a cheaper investment further on down the line than the hydraulic option if you think the spyres arent good enough.

Only way you'll know how good they are is riding the bike and go down a few hills.

That frame is also a good platform for future upgrades, should someone on cyclechat decide to part ways with their older groupset (this does happen once in a while) so thats always a good option if getting another bike is out of the question.

OP
OP
W

WJC1981

The best Mechanical disc brakes are Avid BB7's - lots of people swear by them. Probably a cheaper investment further on down the line than the hydraulic option if you think the spyres arent good enough.

Only way you'll know how good they are is riding the bike and go down a few hills.

That frame is also a good platform for future upgrades, should someone on cyclechat decide to part ways with their older groupset (this does happen once in a while) so thats always a good option if getting another bike is out of the question.
Thanks for your response, great idea about upgrading I live in a flat and having two bikes wouldnt be ideal

Top Bottom