This is my new bike, will I need hydraulic disk brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
TRP Spyres brake as well as hydraulic brakes, I have both. The biggest difference is the lever action, hydraulics are generally lighter action, but that's not much of a difference.

Just make sure that when you inevitably change the cables that you get a decent compression less set.

You'll be fine with the brakes on that bike 😁

DRM

Guru
The best Mechanical disc brakes are Avid BB7's - lots of people swear by them. Probably a cheaper investment further on down the line than the hydraulic option if you think the spyres arent good enough.

Only way you'll know how good they are is riding the bike and go down a few hills.

That frame is also a good platform for future upgrades, should someone on cyclechat decide to part ways with their older groupset (this does happen once in a while) so thats always a good option if getting another bike is out of the question.
All I've heard about BB7's is more people swear at them, the Spyres are far superior as they are dual piston, rather than a disc bending single piston design, the Spyres on mine pull the bike up well, with plenty of feel and bite, a cheaper upgrade may be top quality pads once the originals need changing

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Oh and when you get the bike bed the pads in properly, get on a quiet bit of road and get the bike up to a reasonable bit of speed and brake hard, but don't allow it to stop, get back up to speed and repeat, do this about 15 times.

OP
OP
W

WJC1981

Oh and when you get the bike bed the pads in properly, get on a quiet bit of road and get the bike up to a reasonable bit of speed and brake hard, but don't allow it to stop, get back up to speed and repeat, do this about 15 times.
Thank you, Ill do that

mustang1

Guru
TRP Spyre are one of the few (or only?) cable-disc brakes that are dual piston like you get with hydraulic disk brakes so that's a good thing. Hydraulic disk brakes give auto adjustment and better feel but that doesn't mean TRP Spyre are not good. In fact I have that on one of my bikes and they work great!

Like @Cycleops mentioned above, if you really want hydro brakes, then it's better to get them already fitted on the bike. I chose the mechanical TRP discs for my bike because I did not want to spend too much.

boydj

Legendary Member
The best Mechanical disc brakes are Avid BB7's - lots of people swear by them. Probably a cheaper investment further on down the line than the hydraulic option if you think the spyres arent good enough.

That is a matter of opinion, and there are plenty who think the TRP's are better.

But why upgrade a new bike? Ride it, get to know its strengths and weaknesses and upgrade when things start to wear out or you find significant weaknesses. If fully hydraulic brakes were a requirement, it would have been more cost-effective to have paid a bit more to buy a bike fitted with them in the first place. I'm sure you'll find the TRPs will be more than good enough for you for now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just not worth the extra cost of hydraulic on a road bike. Slightly different argument on an MTB, but that's usually because braking requirements are much more !

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was wondering if I needed to change out for hydraulic disk brakes
The best Mechanical disc brakes are Avid BB7's

TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes are the best! I have Avid BB7's on my MTB, and Spyres on my Genesis Croix de Fer, and I would rate the Spyres above the BB7's.. As @DRM posted, they are dual moving piston rather than one side being fixed. In fact, I swapped out the semi hydraulic (cable from lever to caliper, then hydraulic system on the caliper) TRP HyRd brakes that came as standard on the Croix de Fer. They are heavy, ugly, a pain to bleed, and just don't work as well as a full hydraulic system. The mechanical Spyres are every bit as good, if not better than the HyRd's..
Enjoy the new bike, OP, especially the good brakes! :okay:

Top Bottom