This is not for charity - Round The World Record Attempt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

panamslam

Isla Valassi said:
This is true - if you check out the Guinness World Records site, Mark is shown as the current World record holder. It seems that James Bowthorpe and Julian Sayarer must have mucked up big time with their attempts.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2008/02/080222.aspx

No mention on either of their websites. That's gotta be a dull one cycling all that way and getting pumped by Guinness. Not the easiest lot to be dealing with; protracted arguments going back and forth would be my bet.

Garz

Squat Member
What was wrong with bowthorpe's attempt?

panamslam

I heard that he zig zagged too much (i.e. not east-west as Guinness require) but can't be sure.

I emailed gobby about his attempt but got no reply.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
panamslam said:
I heard that he zig zagged too much (i.e. not east-west as Guinness require) but can't be sure.

I emailed gobby about his attempt but got no reply.

If you did route that went up in a NE direction and then down in a saw tooth pattern you could do 5ooo+ miles in Europe, would that be alowed by Guiness?

Sparkyman

panamslam

sparkyman said:
If you did route that went up in a NE direction and then down in a saw tooth pattern you could do 5ooo+ miles in Europe, would that be alowed by Guiness?

Sparkyman

I don't think so. They say it should be "East to West or West to East". But exactly how far off that exact line is unclear. Even Beaumont's route had a good bit of NE in Oz and a whack of South in the States, so maybe you could do the Europe saw tooth!

If it were me i'd be checking my route with Guinness BEFORE I left.

I don't really understand the obsessions with being the record holder. In the unlikely event I ever got out of bed for long enopugh to cycle round the world, the experience would be enough. I'd hate to have to keep worrying about whether I'd gone far enough or fast enough that day. Still, each to his own, etc. etc.

panamslam

Rhythm Thief said:
I don't really understand the obsessions with being the record holder. In the unlikely event I ever got out of bed for long enopugh to cycle round the world, the experience would be enough. I'd hate to have to keep worrying about whether I'd gone far enough or fast enough that day. Still, each to his own, etc. etc.

Just a different mindset I suppose. Probably more like time trialling than touring though.

Anybody got a link to the boy leaving from Thailand?

jitensha

"Dave Davenport" said:
This bloke who's setting off from Thailand at the end of the month, his route doesn't look like it meets the Guinness rules either.

"panamslam" said:
His route does look iffy. Although his site states that the route must be east-west or west-east and not deviate by more than 5 degrees. Looks like it does though.

Hi Dave and panamslam,

What's wrong with this guys route? Julian Sayarer's route was definitely very iffy, but Alan Bate's route looks fine to me. It's continually East-West. Very little longitudinal backtracking save where it's unavoidable.

His goal of 300km per day will be a tough one. I'm guessing he has a support team?

jitensha said:
Hi Dave and panamslam,

What's wrong with this guys route? Julian Sayarer's route was definitely very iffy, but Alan Bate's route looks fine to me. It's continually East-West. Very little longitudinal backtracking save where it's unavoidable.

His goal of 300km per day will be a tough one. I'm guessing he has a support team?

I thought it looked like he would be covering some of the same west-east in north and south america but having looked at the detailed route, you're right it does look ok.

panamslam

jitensha said:
Hi Dave and panamslam,

Kinda thought the Europe Leg involved a lot of North and South. Lisbon to Nice; West to East yes. But via London?

Hats off though, the guy is aiming high and i've got huge respect for that.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Rhythm Thief said:
I'm with you, RT. I'd want to relax, stay longer in interesting places, zip through boring ones. But, as you say, different strokes ...

Top Bottom