This is not for charity - Round The World Record Attempt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Looks interesting.... his route doesn't look long enough though...

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
jay clock said:
Looks interesting.... his route doesn't look long enough though...

Well, to have a go at the record he has to do 18,000 miles minimum on the bike.

He does a big chunk across Russia China etc, but misses Australia.

His lump in America looks big though, a bit of a loop as opposed to 'straight across'

dpiper

I was following his tracker yesterday.

At 07.20 = 17277 miles
At 12.56 = 17396 miles
At 16.50 = 17452 miles
At 18.12 = 17462 miles

That's 185 miles in 11 hours, which would mean riding nonstop at 17mph.

Its now 06.00 the next day and he's showing 17563, that's 286 miles in less than 24 hours.

The weather, winds, terrain and daylight are not in his favour.

I am assuming his tracker gives a reliable live feed to his website.

Comments anyone?

GrahamG

Guru
*miserable young codger rant* Superb - I like the 'not for charity' aspect. More people should just get out and do the rides/challenges they want without waiting for charity as an excuse, the overkill on charity rides is getting to the point where people will just get peed off with sponsoring these mini-holidays. I've recently just gone through charities that the other half and I would like to support with a monthly donation so that we don't ever feel the need to do charity events as a way of massaging any guilt.

Crankarm

Guru
dpiper said:
I was following his tracker yesterday.

At 07.20 = 17277 miles
At 12.56 = 17396 miles
At 16.50 = 17452 miles
At 18.12 = 17462 miles

That's 185 miles in 11 hours, which would mean riding nonstop at 17mph.

Its now 06.00 the next day and he's showing 17563, that's 286 miles in less than 24 hours.

The weather, winds, terrain and daylight are not in his favour.

I am assuming his tracker gives a reliable live feed to his website.

Comments anyone?

07:20 to 12.56 = 121 miles in 5.5 hours > 22mph average.

And yet at 16:50 he's only travelled a further 54 miles > 13.5mph average, then at 18:12 another 10 miles > 7.7mph average. What's he up to?

dpiper

The world record for a century is only just under 4 hours, so 121 in five...looks like he's bagged another record in the process...

Or not?

Greenbank

Über Member
I wouldn't pay too much attention to those figures, they're probably derived from guesswork (of who/whatever maintains that part of his website) based on the infrequent SPOT tracker data.

For the Guinness World Record claim he'll have to submit GPS data along with his paper logs, signatures and photos that make up his proof-of-passage.

The exact mileage doesn't matter, as long as it is over the minimum 18,000 miles required for a record claim along with the other requirements/conditions.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wasn't there a different thread on here about this? I posed the question of why he was able to go west from Shanghai to Thailand when the rules state that the route has to be continuously eastwards or westwards.

Greenbank

Über Member
From the Record page on the website:-

"The ride must follow an east-west or west-east direction, with any considerable deviations from such a course to be deducted from the total mileage."

I'm guessing that the Thailand section doesn't count as "considerable" according to the wording of the GWR rules. I can't find them online, if anyone can find a link to them then that'd be a start. I would assume he's taken this into account.

dpiper

Just clarify - he does NOT have the record yet. He has not (as of today) submitted his evidence to GWR. His transit days and several high speed / high mileage days will be subject to much scrutinising.

His rants don’t make him too many friends but that shouldn’t take away from the physical achievement even if he comes in second place. Hopefully his ride won’t discredit the record in anyway.

Other readers may be interested in Vin Cox's www.greatbikeride.com principally because this is the first time a cyclist with a pro / racing pedigree has taken on the challenge. I’m sure Mr Sayarer will be mortified to hear that Vin is doing it for charity and is accepting as much corporate sponsorship as possible

Isla Valassi

Veteran
I've been following Julian Sayarer's blog from the beginning and have just read what can only be described as his latest idiotic rant - for example:

"For the final month I must have been averaging close to 150 miles a day, it wasn't as leisurely as I would have liked it to have been, it still wasn't going to 'hell and back', as one guy said Mark Beaumont had done... If Mark Beaumont did go to hell and back, then he was doing it all wrong."

Now let me see......of course Julian you missed out a 3000 mile stretch through Australia into a headwind didn't you, you @rse!!

Top Bottom