This mornings idiot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Are you people still talking about this? Good greif, man's probably died of old age by now!

adunn01

Cab said:
Already answered. Read the damn thread.

The only thing that's still not clear to me is why it was safe for you to follow the other cyclist and pass through the gap between a moving truck and a bus but completely unsafe for you to follow when he comfortably passed a car with feet to spare because you'd spotted a sign telling the driver to give way to oncoming traffic.

Just smacked a little of confrontation for the sake of confrontation, safe in the knowledge you had a road sign you felt backed you up.

But then again, you can come back with the cutting "you're too passive if you don't agree with the way I behaved" and that'll be my opinion totally useless.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
adunn01 said:
The only thing that's still not clear to me is why it was safe for you to follow the other cyclist and pass through the gap between a moving truck and a bus but completely unsafe for you to follow when he comfortably passed a car with feet to spare because you'd spotted a sign telling the driver to give way to oncoming traffic.

Just smacked a little of confrontation for the sake of confrontation, safe in the knowledge you had a road sign you felt backed you up.

But then again, you can come back with the cutting "you're too passive if you don't agree with the way I behaved" and that'll be my opinion totally useless.

+1

Radius

SHREDDER
+3

And you should try riding on London, the space it looks like you have would feel like riding with no traffic...

J4CKO

I reckon if it had been the other way round you would have jibbed through.

There was enough room, nobody was in danger, the other cyclist got through, just cos you can make a point doesnt mean you should do, its not very often I feel sorry for Audi drivers....

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

adunn01 said:
The only thing that's still not clear to me is why it was safe for you to follow the other cyclist and pass through the gap between a moving truck and a bus

Never happened. The bus and the truck were static when I went past.

but completely unsafe for you to follow when he comfortably passed a car with feet to spare because you'd spotted a sign telling the driver to give way to oncoming traffic.

Read the thread. The car slowed to a stop and a gap emerged sufficiently wide to pass entirely because I held the lane. I ride that route every day, if you don't do as I did then the car will accelerate through the gap leaving minimum passing distance, which is unsafe and there have been numerous incidents in which cyclists have been clipped there doing precisely what you'd have me do (shopkeepers in that street have recently raised awareness of the dangers of that road, specifically citing this risk). Don't tell the guy and he'll do it tomorrow to. Stop and tell him and next time you see him he doesn't do it; yes, I've experience of doing that there, over, and over.

You are too passive if you believe that you should do as you suggest here; the evidence is that a number of cyclists have been clipped doing that on Magdalene Street and, to my knowledge, no one holding primary and explaining the errors made by an oncoming motorist has.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

J4CKO said:
I reckon if it had been the other way round you would have jibbed through.

There was enough room, nobody was in danger, the other cyclist got through, just cos you can make a point doesnt mean you should do, its not very often I feel sorry for Audi drivers....

Read the damn thread. The other cyclist got through with plenty of room because I was holding the lane, ride that route close to the kerb on your own and it doesn't happen, the car will be positioned between you and the bollards on the other side with inches to spare either side, on a route on which a gutter position is unsafe anyway because of the pedestrian access points on either side of the road (openings into Magdalene College through which there is a pretty steady stream of pedestrians during the day).

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

thomas said:
+2

There are times when there isn't room and that didn't look like one. If cars are going through at a sensible speed then it looked relativity safe.

If you don't slow 'em down then they do not go through there at a sensible speed; there is a 20mph limit there which, according to traders there recently raising the issue in the local press, is regularly flouted. Bluntly, hold your lane or you don't get any space at all.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Radius said:
+3

And you should try riding on London, the space it looks like you have would feel like riding with no traffic...

I've ridden sufficiently in London to know its not that different. Head on, I won't pass a moving car in a constriction like that anywhere, under any circumstances.

col

Legendary Member
The confrontation was not neccesary, a case of not giving because you had the right, and a point prover nothing else. There was nothing dangerous there other than you holding the line you did,to force the car to slow even more so you could have your say.

Top Bottom