This mornings idiot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
You've a short memory Col, you're repeating yourself again.

Mmm your right, sorry bout that:blush:

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

MacBludgeon;574998][quote=Cab said:
Read the damn thread. quote]

read it and watched the vid and still felt you were over the top. Not the first time you've posted 'read the damn thread' either. Might one suggest a 'chill pill':biggrin:

I'm chilled, but at my best totally intolerant of being asked to repeat myself.

adunn01

Cab said:
I'm chilled, but at my best totally intolerant of being asked to repeat myself.

i suspect you're having to repeat yourself because despite the opinions of so many fellow cyclists suggesting you might be in the wrong you're completely unwilling to admit the possibility your actions were unnecessary.

Your repeating yourself in the whole debate has basically consisted of sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "i'm right i'm right im right" (no doubt while you squeeze your bike between two hgvs, eyes closed, before stopping an old lady in a 2CV to tell her she's far too close to your bike).

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I thought this thread was dead and buried, thanks Lee :wacko: Still think you were wrong cab and you could have got a bus through that gap B)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
So it goes.

Despite being a card-carrying cammunist, I've always tried to avoid making judgements on people's cycling skills based on video evidence. This thread is a good example why I don't think it's a good idea. The words of explanation in the OP and all the experience of riding that bit of road day-to-day just get lost beneath a few seconds of footage.

I can think of two examples from recent experience. The first is when I came close to a fight with a courier over a close pass. I got home, looked at the footage and......it was close, but I'll get maybe one of those a week and live with it without risking an appearance in court for affray.

The second example is how I deal with this junction, crossing Pack Lane from SE to NW. If I showed footage of how I enter the ASL at the lights, but then usually pull into some neutral space and indicate to any following drivers to pass when the lights change, most people on here would think 'huh?' (apart from col. col would get a semi).

But from experience I know that its almost impossible to control the space crossing the junction, that the ASL is on a nasty little incline that makes it difficult to clip in and go quickly, that there's a sharp pinch point on the junction exit, that the road goes to the national speed limit that tempts drivers to overtake when it's unsafe due to the way the road bends, even that there's one of those little roadside shrines to a kid who was killed on a bike a few years ago about 50 yards down the road that I can never pass without feeling sad and mortal.

All these things wouldn't come across in the footage, but no amount of criticism would make me take it any differently. Ride it and then make your judgements.

boydj

Legendary Member
Good post, Bollo.

col

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
So it goes.

Despite being a card-carrying cammunist, I've always tried to avoid making judgements on people's cycling skills based on video evidence. This thread is a good example why I don't think it's a good idea. The words of explanation in the OP and all the experience of riding that bit of road day-to-day just get lost beneath a few seconds of footage.

I can think of two examples from recent experience. The first is when I came close to a fight with a courier over a close pass. I got home, looked at the footage and......it was close, but I'll get maybe one of those a week and live with it without risking an appearance in court for affray.

The second example is how I deal with this junction, crossing Pack Lane from SE to NW. If I showed footage of how I enter the ASL at the lights, but then usually pull into some neutral space and indicate to any following drivers to pass when the lights change, most people on here would think 'huh?' (apart from col. col would get a semi).
But from experience I know that its almost impossible to control the space crossing the junction, that the ASL is on a nasty little incline that makes it difficult to clip in and go quickly, that there's a sharp pinch point on the junction exit, that the road goes to the national speed limit that tempts drivers to overtake when it's unsafe due to the way the road bends, even that there's one of those little roadside shrines to a kid who was killed on a bike a few years ago about 50 yards down the road that I can never pass without feeling sad and mortal.

All these things wouldn't come across in the footage, but no amount of criticism would make me take it any differently. Ride it and then make your judgements.

Only if you gently bumped into me bigbo er bollo:girl:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I promised myself that I would not comment any more on numpty cyclists displaying their imcompetence and blaming other road users but...
Have you read the Highway Code and I don't mean just looked at the pretty pictures? From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069856
What do you think "Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident." means?
It may help if you change your user name here and on youtube to "R Sole".

Lurker

mr_hippo said:
.... From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069856
What do you think "Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident." means?....

Or, to give the full quote from the above section of the Highway Code:

"103-158: General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders

This section should be read by all drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders. The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident."

Origamist

Legendary Member
Apologies, FFFF. I provided a link to this thread as part of my role as Cyclechat's Information-Dissemination Commissar.

When Bollo abstains from the postprandial port, he talks a lot of sense. Proffering advice, (but mostly criticism), from one's office chair or sofa is easy - riding a route day in day out and negotiating trouble-spots is not. I know how I might ride in a given situation, but I also know that this might not be the best course of action as local knowledge can be invaluable. For this reason, I try to attach as much worth to the OP's opinions as I do the footage (which is limited and stands in isolation).

For example, Mr Hippo's Thailand footage makes more sense to me when he explains his road position and tactics.

Another +1 for Bollo's post. This is exactly the situation for my roundabout exit. Experience has taught me that if I don't take a good line (and it wasn't quite far enough right in the taxi incident) then I get problems. No amount of analysis of a video can tease out that experience. Not that there isn't merit in debating, however, for those that haven't been there, you have to place a reasonable amount of weight on the OP's description of his experiences.

I actually came across another cyclist on yacf the other day who has used my roundabout exit on regular basis. He also agrees that a primary line is the best. That is 3 cyclists who have been there and agree with me. That has to count for something.

So I say, lets give cab the benefit of the doubt, as he knows this junction better than anyone here.

Top Bottom