This mornings idiot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cab

Cab

adunn01 said:
I read your post about the static van and bus, and then watched the video again a few times. The truck comes into view at the start of the clip and is just passing a bollard at the corner, then it reappears and the rear of the truck hasn't yet come in line with the white van going in the opposite direction, then as you pass the truck's about to come fully in line with the bus. If it is static as you claim it is far from from parked and may have slowed virtually to a complete stop almost exactly as you pass. It's disengenious of you to claim it static as if you're moving between two parked/stopped vehicles. The truck is in the process of passing the bus, albeit maybe in a slow fashion due to the lack of space between the two vehicles. For someone so concerned with his own safety, it seems like a strange decision for you to pass in such circumstances.

The truck had stopped because there was not room for it to go forward until the lights changed, allowing the traffic (of which the bus was part) to move forward. The lights weren't going to change for a while, neither the van nor the bus were going anywhere. It was perfectly safe to move between two static vehicles.

You've explained. But I don't believe you. And the cyclist 5 yards in front of you shows what appears to happen. Everyone safely gets through the gap.

So you haven't read the thread then. Everyone does not safely get through that gap, there have been numerous knocks on cyclists reported there, according to recent press reports :biggrin:

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

col said:
Ah so here is the point, you really feel safer from people who might react badly to you because of your mannerism to them. Some sort of star trek shield perhaps? :biggrin:

What planet are you from? What the heck are you talking about here?

Point out at someone who is acting threateningly that they're on camera and most often they back off; its the experience of police forces employing this kind of technology all over the country, and its the experience of camera users posting here. What don't you believe about that?

Some dont think twice about smashing news cameras when they feel threatened with them, what makes you think a pendantic cyclist pointing at a cctv will be any different?

Earth to Planet Col... Earth to Planet Col... Whats the weather like there? Its pretty s**t here but at least we don't have to worry about rampaging mobs targetting tiny cameras in the hope of getting away with destroying memory chips.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cab, do you really think this sort of strident and aggressive posting is appropriate behaviour for a moderator? Perhaps you should step down if you're going to behave like this.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

mr_hippo said:
I have read the thread.
(cut)

Then why waste time stating something that has already been refuted, i.e. that it would be safe to scoot down the side to avoid an 'incident'? The highway code invites us to give way to avoid incident, but not at the expense of our own safety.

How did I insult you?

It may help if you change your user name here and on youtube to "R Sole

If that, to you, is not merely insulting, then really, don't waste my time posting threads directed at me, because your level of 'conversation' is contemptible.

(further irrelevent abuse cut)

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

BentMikey said:
Cab, do you really think this sort of strident and aggressive posting is appropriate behaviour for a moderator? Perhaps you should step down if you're going to behave like this.

*shrug* This is why we have a team of moderators. It isn't up to each of us, individually, to moderate a discussion in which we're taking part.

Aggressive? I don't accept that. Strident? Why, yes.

J4CKO

Cab said:
but I know for a fact that those I've stopped there and told not to do it again have behaved better when I've come across them again, at the same point.

I did read the "Damn Thread"

Sounds to me like you are looking all the time for an opportunity to berate motorists, willing them to do something so you can go into full on "Road Captain" mode.

I am all for not having the piss taken by motorists but I also feel there is a line to be drawn, as for them behaving better, they are thinking "Oh here's that mental cyclist again, dont want him ranting through the window again" which is good in a way but may alienate and antagonise some drivers into behaving worse towards us.

I dont think that partiulcar driver was bullying, he seemed to be going slowly, he just saw that the way was mostly free and went through, a bit of give and take would suggest you move over a little instead of claiming the whole road, it wasnt like he blasted through and made you swerve into the pavement, I think he was just making a judgement, it just wasnt agressive.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Cab said:
(cut)

Then why waste time stating something that has already been refuted, i.e. that it would be safe to scoot down the side to avoid an 'incident'? The highway code invites us to give way to avoid incident, but not at the expense of our own safety.

If that, to you, is not merely insulting, then really, don't waste my time posting threads directed at me, because your level of 'conversation' is contemptible.

(further irrelevent abuse cut)
I will understand if English is not your native language but 'scooting down the side' and 'giving way' are not the same. You not only put yourself in danger but provoked the situation.
The 'R Sole' remark was merely a humourous suggestion.
At least I have a level of conversation far in excess of your's and do not repeat myself parrot fashion.

adunn01

Cab said:
The truck had stopped because there was not room for it to go forward until the lights changed, allowing the traffic (of which the bus was part) to move forward. The lights weren't going to change for a while, neither the van nor the bus were going anywhere. It was perfectly safe to move between two static vehicles.

Sorry, but if it was static and there was no space for it to pass the bus why was it alongside the bus having moved there all the way through your video. If it was static and not slow moving why are it's rear sidelights on but not its brakelights. And if there was no room for it to pass the bus how was there room for you to fit your bike through the gap safely.

Lets face it, the truck was clearly moving and you clearly carried out a manoeuvre in passing it which doesn't fit with your subsequent safety rant.

People, FFS, you turn your back for a few weeks and it all kicks off again (Pru!!!!!).

Why argue, Cab's never going to admit he was wrong/aggressive/intollerant/bullying, so just leave it until the next episode of "Cab Cam in your face" so we can all have a laugh again.

Maz

Guru
I've cycled down Magdalene Street many a time and never had a problem riding down the side of oncoming cars. There's tons of space to get by. No need to have a go at the driver, IMO.
73042c.jpg

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Maz said:
I've cycled down Magdalene Street many a time and never had a problem riding down the side of oncoming cars. There's tons of space to get by. No need to have a go at the driver, IMO.

Maz but have you read all of the thread :cold:

Maz

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Maz but have you read all of the thread :cold:
[cab]I don't have to. YOU should all give way to MY oncoming comment, OK? You will remember that in future, won't you? Good.[/cab]
;)

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
What planet are you from? What the heck are you talking about here?

Point out at someone who is acting threateningly that they're on camera and most often they back off; its the experience of police forces employing this kind of technology all over the country, and its the experience of camera users posting here. What don't you believe about that?

Earth to Planet Col... Earth to Planet Col... Whats the weather like there? Its pretty s**t here but at least we don't have to worry about rampaging mobs targetting tiny cameras in the hope of getting away with destroying memory chips.

Mork calling orson(does anyone remember that?) It was my attempt at humour which wasnt picked up on:blush: I think you will find the police cams are mainly for evidence and proof, I dont honestly think it was because they were getting attacked on a regular basis?

I do think however that you get a false sense of security with the camera, and this seems to be shown by your reasoning to have one so you can point to it while its being shoved somewhere the sun dont shine(possibly;))

Top Bottom