This morning's mushrooms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
23lefqa.jpg

Tetedelacourse

Are you going to eat them?

Cab

Well, if you can get a closer picture, put it up and I rekon I'll be able to tell you what they are. I'm pretty convinced that they're shaggy caps, and they're most tasty when young (when the gills are still white). Most of those look way past it though.

Tetedelacourse

domtyler said:

:ohmy:

Cab

Thats shaggy ink caps. Pick them young, have a good look at the gills, you want them when the gills are still all white. They soon turn pinkish, then black, from the bottom up, going all black and inky.

They don't last long at all, even when picked, so get 'em home and make an omelette fast. Very tasty.

Has a cousin called the common ink cap, which you really, really shouldn't eat. That one reacts badly with alcohol; slightist drink of booze two days either way and you'll be violently sick. Looks different; smoother, greyish to brown cap.

Cab said:
Thats shaggy ink caps. Pick them young, have a good look at the gills, you want them when the gills are still all white. They soon turn pinkish, then black, from the bottom up, going all black and inky.

They don't last long at all, even when picked, so get 'em home and make an omelette fast. Very tasty.

Has a cousin called the common ink cap, which you really, really shouldn't eat. That one reacts badly with alcohol; slightist drink of booze two days either way and you'll be violently sick. Looks different; smoother, greyish to brown cap.

I'm not sure that this information is going to encourage Betty to eat them.

Pete

Cab is exactly right, those are Coprinus comatus the Shaggy Ink Cap, which is quite common at this time of year on lawns and grassy areas after a wet spell. The one on the right is too far gone to eat but the couple on the left might have been OK when you took the picture (though they probably won't be, now).

Top Bottom