This Part May Require Some Force To Remove...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The words many a kerbside car mechanic read with an impending sense of dread when he saw it in his bible, the Haynes manual. The founder, John Haynes died yesterday.

Once an essential tool in any motorists armoury, the manuals became increasingly riddled with mistakes and omissions in later years and for most of us became redundant when You Tube came along. Still, they used to be an essential source of information back in the day and often the first purchase after acquiring a new vehicle.

So hats off to a life not wasted.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I bought several in my earlier days of kerbside mechanics. The first use was to renew the headgasket on my Ford Anglia. All done on a saturday morning and it started first time. I still have the Haynes bike book on the shelf.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I recall the ones for my Mk1 Fiesta and Sierra being very good. Later ones less so, they even stopped being hardback and the pages were like newspaper. The one for my T5 van is not as useful as YouTube or forums.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Oh for the happy days of browsing through the Auto Trader and finding cars advertised for sale complete with a copy of the Haynes manual.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yup, found it.

CC6D283C-99E1-406B-AE97-DDCAD11C3811.jpeg
DB0E2137-6581-4B77-BE8A-EC3A5C9F5E5F.jpeg

This edition 1999

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
It's a long time ago now, but I seem to recall that the Haynes manual used to swear blind that you needed some special centring tool in order to change a Mini clutch (you didn't).

Ditto the Focus manual claiming that you needed to dismantle various bits before you could change the crash sensor (after it had been b*gg*r*d by an idiot mechanic at Halfords) or even a headlamp bulb, come to that.

Top Bottom