This seat height malarky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lyrical

fen x
I've always gone off the "You should be able to put the toes of both feet flat on the ground". My saddle height is 41 inches.

If I was to do that, I think my seat would be too low.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I can notice the difference that shoes can make, that is the main problem with cycling in differing shoes each day. Mostly it isn't worth bothering about but in winter the saddle probably is a little higher as the soles of shoes/boots get thicker.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I have tiny feet so that's not a problem.
Anyway, it is working for me now, so that's what matters right?
And the weather is good today and the children are taken care of so I can go out for a couple of hours just to make sure.

Enigma2008

Über Member
The OP is almost correct. As you'll be wearing shoes you should wear them when placing your heel on the pedal. This gives a good approximation of seat height but doesn't allow for foot length, longer feet need a few more mm height due to the pedalling action.
The other factor in this is that once the seat height is established one needs to adjust shoe cleat position to ensure the ball of the foot is centred over the pedal axle and finally that the fore/aft saddle position over the pedals is correct. A plumb line from front of knee cap should fall over the center of the pedal axle.
From those baseline settings it's any further saddle adjustment is down to personal choice.

Seat height has nothing to do with putting your feet on the ground (unless you are just learning to ride) or whether the seat comes up to your hips when stood next to the bike. It is all about getting the best performance from your legs, and for most people, but not all, that means using the 'straight leg, heel on the pedal at the bottom of its stroke' method and adjusting for personal preferance from there.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Well I shall agree with you Mickle, very interesting article - as is the one on women's cycling.
I've just had a pleasant 20 mile cycle, and felt soooo much better on the bike. I even sprinted up one hill (some may say incline, but I like to think it was a hill!) and then got what for from another cyclist for wanting to go past him. Apparently I was in too much of a rush. erm, ok. I have no idea how fast I was going though as my stupid computer decided to start blinking "key" "key" "key" at me again.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I can notice the difference that shoes can make, that is the main problem with cycling in differing shoes each day. Mostly it isn't worth bothering about but in winter the saddle probably is a little higher as the soles of shoes/boots get thicker.
Yes, same for me. Some flat shoes make me jump up and down the saddle when at the lights, like I'm 18 again :becool:

Top Bottom