1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This thefts got to be 'gutting'...

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by gambatte, 27 Sep 2007.

1. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

2. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

Th escum of the earth live in England...I hope they catch the bastards & publicly flog them

3. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Yes, my 19 year old tourer was pinched after many rather less epic rides, but I know how he feels..

4. vernon

vernon Harder than Ronnie Pickering

5. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Wasn't there an almost identical story to this last year?

6. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

..a serial round-the-world bike stealer is at large?:biggrin:

7. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Apparently so:
    More

8. P.H

P.H Über Member

You're mistaken that it's an English problem, bike theft is the same as in the rest of Europe.
    I've heard of a cyclist having his bike stolen in Mongolia, two girls having theirs stolen off a train in India, a couple being mugged at knifepoint for their bikes in Poland, a guy in the US having his stolen while he lay bleeding after being knocked off...

9. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Equally sad post on Velovision.

Adam Hart-Davis has had his collection stolen, including the trademark yellow and pink mountain bike.

10. Road Fiddler

Road Fiddler New Member

This bike was recovered later after it was found abandoned, some chav took it to get home it seems. The guy didn't lock his bike when it was taken.

11. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I've seen that bike, and you have to hand it to the chav, he must have had a few muscles to get it moving... I think it was chiselled out of solid cast iron...

Fitting punishment for bike thieves is of course, is for the saddle to fall off after a few hundred yards, preferably at speed, and for the seatpost to therefore be inserted somewhere it shouldn't...

12. OP
    OP
    gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

I've often dreamt of getting an old bike chaining it somewhere busy, at the top of a hill and chasing the first thief. Obviously the brakes would be completely ineffective....

13. friedel

friedel New Member

We just met a couple who had their bike stolen while wild camping in Romania, and they had the bikes locked with two locks outside their tent. It really can happen anzwhere. Our bikes are currently locked in the lobby of our hotel and the manager swears they are safe but I really want to take them up to our too-small room :biggrin: :biggrin:

14. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

There was a programme a couple of years ago called "Swag" that targetted thieves, an example of their work is here:

SWAG clip

They had a bicycle that sprayed paint over the thief from a nozzle in the headset!