This was a BIG surprise.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
I weighed my Corratec hybrid the other day before I started to change a few bits, it weighed in at 12.4 kg's which isn't too bad really, it was pretty much standard but had 25's instead of the standard 38 tyres...
I swapped the forks which were rigid not sus for full carbon, swapped the stem for a Deda and swapped the tyres for some Blizzards and it now weighs in at 10 kg dead !!!!
2.4 kg was much more than I expected, I still have to fit my new wheels once the front has been exchanged so it should come in at 9. something kg's, very happy with that :wahhey:
I'm going to swap the seat post and bars soon so should lose a bit more too.

snorri

Legendary Member
i'm going to swap the seat post and bars soon so should lose a bit more too.
I once had lightweight 'bars on my bike.........................................they broke.:sad:

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Unless you're very lean already, might be cheaper to lose lbs rather than pounds.
oh believe me mate i'm far from lean, the reason I want to get the bike as light as poss is I recently sold my Bianchi road bike as I cant ride drops due to trapped nerves in my back and when I go out with the wife on her road bike I want some chance to keep up with her ^_^

Milo

Guru
I don't like the idea of lightweight fancy handlebars in the slightest. Handlebars suddenly going wrong is bad news.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
I can't remember, but have found out since that in the world of bikes, lighter tends to mean less hard wearing and more expensive.:sad:
Decided to go for some FSA Comet bars, lightish but nice an strong :thumbsup:
I was going to go down the carbon route and saw those in your link but flatly refuse to pay £25 postage out of principal even if they go for 99p !!

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Ive done a lightening job on my frankenbike. It really does make it feel like you are flying at times. I managed to reduce it down to the 10kg mark. BUT, since then, ive also got myself an off roader. Its dam hard work in comparison, big nobbly tyres and an extra 5kg to push along, but in the 6-7 weeks ive had it, ive lost nearly a stone in weight. Thats as well as having more fun and going more places than is possible on my lighter bike. So, think on before spending uber money to reduce the bike weight, think long and hard about what you actually want from your cycling hobby.

Top Bottom