This weeks Soapbox is....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Patrick Stevens said:
And shorter posts.

Yeah he whupps my ass when it comes to word count, and word length...so I reckon I'm more economical and efficient with my posts...:biggrin:

LLB

Flying_Monkey said:
Just because something is not expressable simply as one equation (let alone a simple equation) does not mean it is not a theory. And no, not all theories equate to all cases, theories exist within stated conditions and contexts. Newton's applies to a very large context, global warming applies to earth's atmosphere, and possible other planetary atmospheres (there is evidence of it on Venus). The theory has to do with the relative proportions of various gasses in a planetary atmosphere subject to heating from an external source in vacuum, and the relationship to the radiation and/or retention of heat by this mixture. The contribution of the activities of human beings is a sub-theory which deals with the reasons for the changes to both the proportions and the effects of changes to them. These however are in a complex system...

As I said, Newtonian gravity is really quite simple as it deals with a different level of observation of our universe. Global warming is not as it deals with the complex systems and feedback. Basically, the finer grained you get in the universe the weirder things get...

So its fair to say if we see a reduction in solar activity (as these things go in cycles), the planet will start to cool ?

Gary Askwith said:
....a shile of pite :angry:
Pitifully typical collection of yah-boo left (but mainly right) wing obsessives
endlessly whittering on the same old fetish-induced phobias...PC, Education, road manners, the daily mail, 4x4's, the BBC, public v private employees, smutty vacuousness...etc etc:rolleyes::biggrin:
All been heard a hundred times before...now I'm as gulity as anyone else of indulging in a bit of mud-slinging over there but every now and again i think why on earth bother......?
who actually reads the posts properly?
has anyone ever changed their minds or stance on any subject?
Is the novelty of endless repetition inexhaustable?

Answers on a postcard please :smile:

The same argument could be applied to any forum.

Beginners...what shall I buy for £500...

Touring ....end to end.......

Commuting.....got cut up today.....

Know how.....which tyres are best...

Accessories.....which jacket...

Cafe.......I'm having a breakdown....

A forum needs new people for old stuff, or new stuff for old people.

U

User482

linfordlunchbox said:
So its fair to say if we see a reduction in solar activity (as these things go in cycles), the planet will start to cool ?

Not necessarily, as it would depend on the magnitude of other factors which influence the climate.

You might like to reflect on the fact that solar output has been falling for some time, yet the plant has continued to warm up.

starseven said:

Beginners...what shall I buy for £500...

Touring ....end to end.......

Commuting.....got cut up today.....

Know how.....which tyres are best...

Accessories.....which jacket...

Cafe.......I'm having a breakdown....

:wacko::biggrin::biggrin:

I laughed out loud - one of the best posts I've seen for a long time.

freakhatz

Spot on! You have been here too long, friend:

starseven said:

Beginners...what shall I buy for £500... Yup, check

Touring ....end to end....... check

Commuting.....got cut up today..... too many to choose from

Know how.....which tyres are best... there it was, first page

Accessories.....which jacket... easy!

Cafe.......I'm having a breakdown.... Hey, how did you know????

LLB

User482 said:
Not necessarily, as it would depend on the magnitude of other factors which influence the climate.

You might like to reflect on the fact that solar output has been falling for some time, yet the plant has continued to warm up.

How long has it been monitored for ?

U

User482

linfordlunchbox said:
How long has it been monitored for ?

It's all here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_activity#Global_warming

LLB

User482 said:

From your wiki link

The sun has been at its strongest over the past 60 years and may now be affecting global temperatures... the brighter sun and higher levels of so-called "greenhouse gases" both contributed to the change in the Earth's temperature, but it was impossible to say which had the greater impact

Although written in 2003, it is at odds with your last statement regarding monitoring

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/sun_output_030320.html

U

User482

linfordlunchbox said:
Although written in 2003, it is at odds with your last statement regarding monitoring

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/sun_output_030320.html

Did you actually read the link I gave you? There is no correlation between solar forcing and the warming we have seen over the last few decades.

http://stephenschneider.stanford.edu/Publications/PDF_Papers/DamonLaut2004.pdf

Edited to add - the evidence for my statement that solar output is falling can be seen in this graph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Solar-cycle-data.png

U

User482

linfordlunchbox said:
That is where the quote came from User482 so it would be fair to say that I did.

you gave me the impression that solar activity was falling. The astronomers say different.

For goodness sake, I just posted the graph that supports what I said.

Top Bottom