This weeks Soapbox is....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Jaded said:
is solar activity the same as solar output?

Just a thought...

To all intents and purposes yes - solar output (irradiance) is dependent on the activity (sunspots and flares). The graph I posted shows this, and all three are decreasing at present.

LLB

User482 said:
For goodness sake, I just posted the graph that supports what I said.

As did I

solar_radiation_030320_02.jpg

The recent trend of a .05 percent per decade increase in Total Solar Irradiance (TSI) in watts per meter squared, or the amount of solar energy that falls upon a square meter outside the Earths atmosphere. The trend was measured between successive solar minima that occur approximately every 11 years. At the bottom, the timeline of the many different datasets that contributed to this finding, from 1978 to present.
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia...ributed+to+this+finding,+from+1978+to+present.

U

User482

linfordlunchbox said:

Actually you haven't. The study you linked to shows that there has been an insignificant increase in cycle minima. I suppose that if this increase continued for several decades it might become significant.

This ignores the role of sunspot and flare activity, which are on the graph I posted. I repeat: solar output is currently decreasing. There has been no significant net overall change for several decades now.

LLB

User482 said:
Actually you haven't. The study you linked to shows that there has been an insignificant increase in cycle minima. I suppose that if this increase continued for several decades it might become significant.

This ignores the role of sunspot and flare activity, which are on the graph I posted. I repeat: solar output is currently decreasing. There has been no significant net overall change for several decades now.

They could say that about Global warming as a whole :smile:

U

User482

linfordlunchbox said:
They could say that about Global warming as a whole :smile:

You don't think that the warming we are experiencing is significant? Wow.

bonj2

Flying_Monkey said:
Basically yes, but even 'matters of fact', ideed most common scientific hypotheses are often 'working propositions' when it comes down to it.

The problem with this is you then get numbskulls who think that this means 'global warming isn't true' when it is almost as 'true' as the theory of gravitation and I wouldn't recommend jumping out of a 50th-storey window to check that one...

So, is the hypothesis that climate change is just as true as gravity - is that epistemology, ontology, aesthetics, ethics, or politics? Or a mix of them all?

Dave5N

Über Member
bonj said:
So, is the hypothesis that climate change is just as true as gravity - is that epistemology, ontology, aesthetics, ethics, or politics? Or a mix of them all?

Gravity isn't 'true' but it is demonstrable. So is climate change. The facts accord with the theory.

It isn't a hypothesis.

Top Bottom