This will sound odd to many of you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have an old frame that is suitable for conversion to single speed (don't want fixed). I am time poor, and I am skills poor (seriously... it just doesn't work for me like the manuals say!!)...
Would a bike shop do a conversion for me, do you think? And if so, how much moolah do you reckon?
Basically needs... new brakes, new headset, new chain, back wheel converted to single speed (or an appropriate wheel). Everything else is fine... and it has horizontal dropouts too.
Oh... what about chain rings? Obv would only want one at the front... mine looks like it's all one unit (??) at least I can't see how to take it apart....

Bicycle

I have an old frame that is suitable for conversion to single speed (don't want fixed). I am time poor, and I am skills poor (seriously... it just doesn't work for me like the manuals say!!)...
Would a bike shop do a conversion for me, do you think? And if so, how much moolah do you reckon?
Basically needs... new brakes, new headset, new chain, back wheel converted to single speed (or an appropriate wheel). Everything else is fine... and it has horizontal dropouts too.
Oh... what about chain rings? Obv would only want one at the front... mine looks like it's all one unit (??) at least I can't see how to take it apart....

A shop would certainly do that for you, but it would be interesting to price up the parts and the work. There can sometimes be a little noodling around to make a bitza, so that can add to the cost when you're paying someone to do it.

I have a feeling (based on your assessment) that you might be talking about something that will cost you more than an off-the-shelf single-speed bike.

It might not, but labour costs money - and so do some of the parts you're looking at.

Some of the bodges you might do yourself to make a thing work might not be acceptable to a shop, whose reputation is based on the quality of the work.

I think I spent about £70 on a wheel (fixed) and maybe £15 on the sprocket. I used one of the existing chainrings.

If you mean complete braking systems, that will be a quid or two.

But the bottom line is, a shop will do whatever you want them to do and there is a certain pleasure in riding something that isn't just off-the-shelf.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Thanks Bicycle. It's just a mad idea I had today about my rusty old heap of early 1990s Raleigh MTB. Most components shot to bits, but frame in great nick, as are wheels. Took everything off it today... was using it as hobby horse round the garden. I fancy it as a town, pub, shopping, pootle bike. Will have a word with LBS at some point If I actually get anywhere with this idea, I'll report back!

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'm also time poor and skills very poor. I fancies a SS bike and bought one off eBay for £113 (an old70's Raleigh. I then took it to the LBS and they suggested a few bits. They then built a new rear wheel, new drankwheel and rear sprocket plus better brake levers. This cost nearly £200, so I'd spent over £300 on an old fixed conversion.

I'm sure I could have bought a "better" fixed bike for the money I spent, but I do love mine :smile:

Martin

yashicamat

I had a frame donated, but on top of that, I built my SS for about £190, that was using Mavic Open-Pro rims, Campag cranks/chainring and sprocket, chain, Shimano 105 brakes etc., so a reasonable spec really. Some parts were second hand, others NOS (CRC is a good one for this - I got some 8 year old NOS dropped 'bars for a tenner!). If it's getting beyond £300, I'd start thinking about an off-the-shelf option.

Top Bottom