Thorn Light touring bike ?? What think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you going for Fuschia?

Percy

"Somebody dissuade me quick!!"

The thing that dissuaded me from buying a Thorn was one of these...see if it works for you (I have an SE but I see they've got a new model this year - Chiltern - which may be the equivalent of the Thorn you're looking at). I found them and the bikes to be much more agreeable than what you get at Thorn.

http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/index.php?page=hewitt

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Mmmm I think my ardour is cooling somewhat . A friend of mine is buying one ( poss fuschia:becool::?:smile: so I'll have a test ride. My old Dalesman does the job, I just fancy a change. I looked at the Cheviot and its local, I just hate decisions ( and parting with money)

P.H

Über Member
I have a Thorn and Hewitt, I got excellent service from both, each bike is fantastic in its own way, both require the same number of spacers for the same riding position.
I doubt there's much difference in quality between the Thorn Audax and Hewitt Chiltern (which BTW isn't exclusive to Hewitts) both neatly TIG welded in
Taiwan. The Thorn is probably a bit lighter, comes in a tougher finish, is available in more sizes and comes with a long money back trial period. The Hewitt frame is £100+ dearer, for that you get to choose the colour (and it is a quality finish) get a first rate fitting service and if you're going for a bike rather than frame you get a better choice of components without the price penalty of upgrading.
You pay your money...

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
P.H said:
I have a Thorn and Hewitt, I got excellent service from both, each bike is fantastic in its own way, both require the same number of spacers for the same riding position.
I doubt there's much difference in quality between the Thorn Audax and Hewitt Chiltern (which BTW isn't exclusive to Hewitts) both neatly TIG welded in Taiwan. The Thorn is probably a bit lighter, comes in a tougher finish, is available in more sizes and comes with a long money back trial period. The Hewitt frame is £100+ dearer, for that you get to choose the colour (and it is a quality finish) get a first rate fitting service and if you're going for a bike rather than frame you get a better choice of components without the price penalty of upgrading.
You pay your money...

Thanks PH, very useful slant especially given that you have both. Hewitts is local(ish) too

You can get a hand built made to measure cycle for that price from here.

Top Bottom