Those boiling water taps - any experience/thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks.
This is Devon, so water the softest it can be.
No children to scald.
States 100C outpit as Water stored at pressure in a vacuum insulated vessel.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I seriously considered one that did boiling, chilled and sparkling water but we're in Suffolk where the water is hard enough to hammer nails in. We had one at work but after about the 5th repair it was removed and we went back to a kettle :laugh: If we were in a soft water area as you are I'd go for it :okay:

And your wife would be wrong. You need to mansplain to your wife that she is wrong and that the correct water temp for green tea is about 70C. She will immediately see the error of her ways and thank you for correcting her error.
Your welcome.
Thanks - I took your advise
There are 2 points

a) apparently she is actually right and has tried green tea made at a variety of temperatures and only 100 is correct
b) I get out of hospital in a few days:laugh:

but thanks for the advise

Lozz360

Veteran
People are discussing the energy costs of running these items. However, water is going to cost the same amount to boil in one of these things than it would in kettle for a given volume of water. What I would say, is the smallest reservoir is 3-litres. Do you really need that amount of water on the boil at a given time? That is where the running costs would go as I understand that they will keep this amount of water on the boil at all times. Unless you are continually making hot beverages for a lot of people and/or you are using a lot of boiled water for cooking, I wouldn't bother. Also the capital cost is over a £1,000! I certainly wouldn't have one for domestic use.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've got experience of them in a catering environment.
They are an accident waiting to happen, wouldn't have one at home.
Anyway, they soon malfunctioned, so we switched them off.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I make coffee in a cafetiere using water at 94C so it wouldn't be any good. Besides,I reached Maximum Stuff a couple of years ago.

There's wisdom in the term "maximum stuff". It particularly applies in the kitchen dept, and Inhave to very grudgingly concede, in the tool department too.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What's needed here is a double-blind test.
He’s got one black-eye already!

CXRAndy

Guru
Virtually all dont meet current UK water regulations. Its because most produce 100C at the spout, which means the boiling canister is pressurised to exceed 100C. This is currently not allowed. I know this because I had a house certificate and in the conversation he stated he just failed a new build because it had a hot water tap. He said as of last month none were passed for UK regulations. He did state next year a couple will meet regulations by having a spout temperature which is below 100C

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I'm not sackin
For which you could also pay someone for 119 hours at national minimum wage just to boil your kettle or make tea or coffee.

Maybe if she was asked nicely @Hill Wimp would make a cuppa for less?
I certainly will, I'm not paying that for tap and a daft gadget at that.

There's wisdom in the term "maximum stuff". It particularly applies in the kitchen dept, and Inhave to very grudgingly concede, in the tool department too.
Our problem is that I reached 'maximum stuff' in the kitchen a while ago
My now wife had been at that level for many years
Then she moved in with me and sold her house - then we got married

so, as a result, we went from 'maximum stuff' to 'maximum stuff' x2 overnight

Top Bottom