Those odd aches and pains and the miracle of Ibuprofen gel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As you enter your 50s and 60s the poor old body begins to protest under the strains of life and odd aches and pains begin to manifest themselves. Many are caused by sudden trauma such as the back muscle that goes into spasm after you lift something awkwardly and those usually go away after a couple of days. But it's taken me a while to understand that those other longer-lasting aches and pains can be caused by my habits.

For example: For a few years now I've been troubled by a vague deep aching pain around my left hip joint, especially around the posterior of the hip towards the gluteal area. Recently I realised that while sitting I'm in the habit of rocking to the left and that hip joint is perfectly placed to press down hard on the seat. I've been trying to sit straight so that my weight is taken equally by the muscular part of both thighs and I've begun rubbing in some Ibuprofen gel before going to bed. The result? The niggling deep ache has almost disappeared. Quite a relief.

Another example: I've got chronic soreness in the ball of my left foot, which hurts when I'm cycling. From the web I think it's called metatarsalgia, a general term for pain in this area. Been puzzling about this one for a while, wondering why it's completely confined to the left foot then this morning the penny dropped: twice or thrice a day I scoop food into the cats' bowls and to do so I sort of genuflect, taking most of my weight on my left knee and bending the toes of my left foot sharply forwards. It's undoubtedly this, which is causing the chronic pain exactly under the forward part of the ball of my foot. Another change of habit required. The body can't put up with abuse in the form of bad position as it ages.

Generally I find that odd aches and sprains respond very quickly to Ibuprofen gel, which is surprising as I find it hard to believe that the molecule can penetrate the skin and reach underlying tissue so easily, but the instructions do warn you not to use it topically and take it orally at the same time. Taken orally I find it works well including as an anti-inflammatory for mild bronchitis but it does constipate me badly.

What I'm trying to explain is that it's habits that are actually causing the problems and you need to think carefully about those habits, even though you may think you lead a healthy lifestyle. Hope this is of interest to chronic sufferers of unexplained aches.

Last edited:
Anti-inflammatories are out for me and a lot of people due to issues they can cause with the stomach. Instead, massaging, stretching and changing my habits are much better. Ibuprofen is just a lazy solution unless you really have an underlying medical condition and there is no choice.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I have had trouble with most of my joints over the past 15 years or so. My knees have been the worst, but my right ankle, which I sprained several times playing football in my youth, also often gives me grief as well as periodic tennis elbow. I have found stretching and physio exercises have helped, but also use anti inflammatory medication as a quick fix.

I have found gels to be useless though. Ibuprofen is useful, but the best results I get are from Naproxen, which has to be prescribed. I use them as annd when I need them, sometimes for a few days at a time and sometimes for a day or so, and I often go weeks without needing them. Joint pain, part of life it seems.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm interested to know what symptoms you suffer with that sprained ankle; about 35 years ago I actually dislocated mine jumping off a climbing wall and landing on the edge of a crash mat. Now I think I'm paying the price; often when I get out of bed the ankle just won't support any weight. It's not painful, it just doesn't want to carry me until I've limped a few steps. Do you get this?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Used to live on profen as a legacy of various old rugby injuries. Be banned from taking it orally because of the diverticular disease.

Now I hobble around for ages in the morning and an conscious of pain, in both ankles and one knee, and one shoulder, all day. And my left hip has never really recovered from "the off" which makes driving a manual car a real pain. Literally.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I'm interested to know what symptoms you suffer with that sprained ankle; about 35 years ago I actually dislocated mine jumping off a climbing wall and landing on the edge of a crash mat. Now I think I'm paying the price; often when I get out of bed the ankle just won't support any weight. It's not painful, it just doesn't want to carry me until I've limped a few steps. Do you get this?
Sometimes it feels like the bones are rubbing together when I put weight on it, it is painful when I do and difficult to walk. It can be fine for ages then without warning flare up for a few hours to a couple of days, and can be intermittent for a week or so. Luckily it only affects walking so anything else like cycling is okay.

IBarrett

Über Member
Ibuprofen works like magic for me. If I take 400mg it will get rid of my sore knee joints the same evening.
If I take 600mg (which we get over the counter in Spain) I could run through walls without pain.

I don't take it often but when I really need it its wonderful and I carry some with me when I'm cycling.
The gel is nearly as good and I've given it to someone on a ride who was struggling with a sore knee and he was a convert before the end of the ride.

ozboz

Guru
I've not had much success with the gel , but the red or green caps have saved me some grief over the years from compressed disc , sciatica , I T band trouble , tennis elbow , knees , ligament probs ,
best ever for me

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I use Voltarol gel from time to time for aches and pains from rheumatoid arthritis. Rub it in at bedtime and ok to go next morning. Mainly around wrist and thumb joints and one big toe joint.

Top Bottom