Those of you that don't have cars....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've had a smart phone for a couple of years now, but not dependant on it.
I think I might be lying if I said that.... I can survive without it for bits, but rely on it far too much for finding out information when I'm not at home.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
I'm also a car lite person, living only a mile and a half from work I cycle on most days, we have a people carrier but I only drive it when we go out as a family. My wife uses the car on a daily basis as she needs to get the kids to places and get to work.... Plus getting my wife on a bike will never happen.

I'm a sales executive for a car dealer so I make my money out of people buying cars but I'm sick to death of the sight of them, I've been offered a brand new company car every 6 months when the new plates come out, but I just don't want and need one.

I enjoy the cycle ride in come rain or shine and by the end of the day everyone else jumps into there cars and I pedal home feeling chilled after the days work.

So I want people to please buy cars at it will keep me in a job!!!! ^_^

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am 65 and always had a car since I was 20. I will carry on owning a car until the day I won't be able to drive. I can't imagine my life without a car. To me, a car means freedom and not having to rely on anyone.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
I'm sorry, Jamieyorky, I was referring to the fact that your livelihood depends on people buying more cars. As you yourself acknowledge, this is a central dilemma.

That indeed it is, but it brings in the money :okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I am 65 and always had a car since I was 20. I will carry on owning a car until the day I won't be able to drive. I can't imagine my life without a car. To me, a car means freedom and not having to rely on anyone.
To me a bike means freedom, to the point where after my injury I bought a trike to stay mobile.

Reactions: mjr

donnydave

Über Member
One of my colleagues used to get various buses and a bit of walking to get to work and he spent upwards of 3 hours a day travelling. He tried cycling for 2 days but is desperately unfit and didn't like it at all and has no interest in trying it again. At the time I had a wonky old car that was worthless and I no longer needed so I gave it to him. His life has improved immeasurably as he now only spends 35 minutes a day travelling to and from work. His boss took me to one side and told me "you've done a terrible thing you realise - he is now completely and utterly dependent on cars and will be a slave to them forever more"

Whoops.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
One of my colleagues used to get various buses and a bit of walking to get to work and he spent upwards of 3 hours a day travelling. He tried cycling for 2 days but is desperately unfit and didn't like it at all and has no interest in trying it again. At the time I had a wonky old car that was worthless and I no longer needed so I gave it to him. His life has improved immeasurably as he now only spends 35 minutes a day travelling to and from work. His boss took me to one side and told me "you've done a terrible thing you realise - he is now completely and utterly dependent on cars and will be a slave to them forever more"

Whoops.

when i passed my driving test i swore to myself that i wouldn't stop riding, having been riding as long as i can remember, doing bmx, mountain biking, trials biking etc etc....:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

All my mates got there first car's and have probably never ridden there bike since :sad:

Its so easy to depend on your car :angry:

donnydave

Über Member
when i passed my driving test i swore to myself that i wouldn't stop riding, having been riding as long as i can remember, doing bmx, mountain biking, trials biking etc etc....:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

All my mates got there first car's and have probably never ridden there bike since :sad:

Its so easy to depend on your car :angry:

"Bikes are for poor people and children" is a depressingly common attitude

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"Bikes are for poor people and children" is a depressingly common attitude
...whereas those who depend on cars are so much poorer in so many ways: running costs, paying extra to get problems fixed in record time or hiring cars, no time to stop and look at the astonishing things we see while cycling and so on. (I have a car but do my damnedest not to depend on it. They are fickle temperamental things, even when they seem to be behaving.)

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
To me a bike means freedom, to the point where after my injury I bought a trike to stay mobile.
They both mean freedom but in different ways. A car is freedom to travel long distances, to carry things, to go out with my wife. A bike is freedom to spend time on my own and to enjoy nature at a leisurely pace .

Top Bottom