Those of you that don't have cars....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fair play to you
It got me fit enough to be able to handle hilly 20 mile rides almost as soon as I started cycling again, though the steeper climbs still bothered me for more than a year after that.

I think many people underestimate the value of walking. Brisk walking (especially brisk walking over rough, hilly terrain) is probably even better for health than cycling because it is load bearing. The problem comes if one's joints are damaged, when that load bearing may not be tolerable.

lolly

I would stay as you are for now. Travel costs shouldn't be a problem if your employer is willing to reimburse your fares. If you find life is too impractical or frustrating without a car, then you can get one. However if you buy a car then sell it again, you will almost certainly lose money.

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
It is a lifestyle choice, I would struggle to enjoy my one with a car.

I struggle to enjoy mines as I also own a car, mostly because I want to spend money on bike accessories and upgrades.. but if I must own the car then I must spend money keeping IT working :-/

D

Deleted member 1258

I struggle to enjoy mines as I also own a car, mostly because I want to spend money on bike accessories and upgrades.. but if I must own the car then I must spend money keeping IT working :-/

Its crazy how it works, 30 years car free no problem, now I've had a car for about 4 years I don't want to be without one. :wacko:

Kominic

Regular
I'm in the unfortunate position that I don't need one;

Only go to/from work. Don't do big shops. Don't have lots of friends. Already have a girlfriend. Don't have kids. Can cycle 60 miles comfortably (and catch the train back at the end). Don't live out in the sticks. Have no reliance on public transport. Live in a very hilly part of the country so cycling is still fun. Only go to London a few times a year so can afford the train. Nobody whos opinion I respect shames me for not having a car. Vice versa for the few that do. Would have nowhere to go if I did have a car.......

I could go on. It's a vicious cycle.

I use my car now for shopping, or social stuff that's really far away, otherwise I bike or bus it.

I had about 3 years of car commuting where "go" meant "drive".
When I moved to Norwich I took up cycling again and never used my car. After a few months I sold it.
I use the bike for all local transportation. I have a trailer (FreedomCarry Y-frame large) for hauling larger loads and would recommend a trailer of some sort for anyone going car free. I prefer a flatbed with a strap-on plastic box, for versatility.
I get the train if I need to go to London, I hire an appropriate sized van or car if I need one. For the past month I have been a member of the car club, which is really convenient. I have about 5 cars located within a few minutes walk and I can book them for 15mins + time slots.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've been car-free my whole life. In my early 20s, I started doing driving lessons (paid for by my Dad), and almost got to the stage of being able to drive comfortably, but then lost interest and abandoned the lessons (which didn't go down well with Dad). He spent the next few decades trying to convince me to get my driver's licence, and then gave up. I think he's resigned to me never getting one, plus he can see for himself how fit and young-looking it makes me, so I think he's happy with that.

Fortunately, I'm still more than fit enough to handle my 60km / day round-trip commute (with a lot of hill-climbing), and have no problem walking long distances, so I have no real dependence on trains, buses and trams.

Top Bottom