"Those things are not safe"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
Whilst waiting to turn right at a junction today, I had a car pull up next to me (holding up the traffic behind him) to be told "Those things are NOT safe:cursing:" I've only been riding bents for just over a year now but this is the 1st time I've had this response. I'm sure I hadn't cut him up or wobbled around in front of him as the road was clear whilst I was waiting to turn right. I ride a 2 wheeled high racer, it was day time, I had my lights on and always try to ride in a considerate manner. I did suggest he pull over so we could discuss his issues further (or words to that effect :boxing:), but he decided to drive off. Is this a common occurrence or had I done something to upset this gentleman?

Tim Hall

Whilst waiting to turn right at a junction today, I had a car pull up next to me (holding up the traffic behind him) to be told "Those things are NOT safe:cursing:" I've only been riding bents for just over a year now but this is the 1st time I've had this response. I'm sure I hadn't cut him up or wobbled around in front of him as the road was clear whilst I was waiting to turn right. I ride a 2 wheeled high racer, it was day time, I had my lights on and always try to ride in a considerate manner. I did suggest he pull over so we could discuss his issues further (or words to that effect :boxing:), but he decided to drive off. Is this a common occurrence or had I done something to upset this gentleman?
I'd suggest he was speaking from a position of ignorance. You can do stuff like point out how high you are compared to the average sports car, discuss stuff like how being on an unusual bike increases your chance of being noticed. Or you could ignore him and carry on enjoying your day.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Excuse my ignorance, what is a 'bent'?
There is a big clue in the title of the section in which this is posted ... ;)

It's a (recum)bent bicycle or tricycle.

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
I had finished work early so took the opportunity for a ride out, had a great afternoon apart from this incident. I guess I should let it wash over me and let Karma sort things out!

There is an illusion amongst the ill-informed that because they are "low" that they re dangerous

I find the best way is "education"

It is amazing how many people rethink this once they have sat on one, realised how much better your ability to see is, how much more comfortable they are and how easy they are to mount and dismount

Top Bottom