"Those things are not safe"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
had I done something to upset this gentleman?

Yes, you made him realise you are a person, not just a cyclist, and he doesn't want to accept the responsibility that the he has to take care around you.

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
Maybe the driver had difficulty realising that you are hard to see. Sorry Mate I Saw You.
Sorry Michael I may have miss read your post, Are you saying you saw me this afternoon and I was difficult to see or that you can't understand why the driver wouldn't have seen me? I thought I stood out quite well with day glow and flashing lights but would welcome comments should I need to do more to be visible.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sorry Michael I may have miss read your post, Are you saying you saw me this afternoon and I was difficult to see or that you can't understand why the driver wouldn't have seen me? I thought I stood out quite well with day glow and flashing lights but would welcome comments should I need to do more to be visible.
He was taking the P out of the driver, who claimed you could not be seen but was still able to see you to offer his "Advice".

Biggest problem on a recumbent is when you don't want to be noticed, everyone sees you.

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

He was taking the P out of the driver, who claimed you could not be seen but was still able to see you to offer his "Advice".

Biggest problem on a recumbent is when you don't want to be noticed, everyone sees you.
Thanks Joe. Sorry Michael I missed the sarcasm! :smile: In my experience Bents are very noticeable, I seem to spend most of my time waving! After riding an upright road bike for many years and looking at the road in ahead of my front wheel, you can't beat the view you get cycling whilst lying down.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have had a Bachetta Giro 26 and an ICE Trike. The trike was like driving a mini on the roads, it stands out a mile and was never missed. Again with the Giro, people can easily see you and they give you lots more room.

The most dangerous thing about them is the drivers who drive alongside you to look at you or the ones that slow down so the kids can ogle you out of the back window at 10 mile an hour, when you are travelling at 20mph.

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

I have had a Bachetta Giro 26 and an ICE Trike. The trike was like driving a mini on the roads, it stands out a mile and was never missed. Again with the Giro, people can easily see you and they give you lots more room.

The most dangerous thing about them is the drivers who drive alongside you to look at you or the ones that slow down so the kids can ogle you out of the back window at 10 mile an hour, when you are travelling at 20mph.
Yes I've had that happen to me Steve! I don't mind people being interested so long as they are polite and leave room. This is the 1st time I have had anyone make a negative comment which caught me off guard. I could understand if I had given him cause to say something but that wasn't the case. I think I need to arm myself with a few select statements in case I get any future idiots who think their opinion is the only one which matters. Only had my bent just over a year now (Encore) and love it, I still commute on an upright but my Bent is for fun. I have been considering a luggage carrying bent for my commute ^_^.

Off topic....

Radical Design make "Seat Pods" and seat packs that can fit many recumbents allowing luggage to be carried

encore-preview1.jpg

This Blog is by a guy with an Encore and also used Radical Design bags

Attachments

• encore-preview1.jpg
    encore-preview1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 63

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I thought I stood out quite well with day glow and flashing lights but would welcome comments should I need to do more to be visible.
Yeah, ditch the urban camo. Bents are already as conspicuous as flying saucers. About the main worthwhile measure IMO is a jolly flag if you're worried about being low down.

DaddyPaddey

Where did it happen Si? I had it once on Titchfield Lane by the passenger in a white van leaning out of the window hollering f words, and worse.

The guy on the Schlitter looks like Dave McCraw. I really rate the radical stuff. I wish I hadnt had a pannier rack on the back of the Scorpion as the Radical bags that go over the back of the seat hold an astonishing amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did it happen Si? I had it once on Titchfield Lane by the passenger in a white van leaning out of the window hollering f words, and worse.

The guy on the Schlitter looks like Dave McCraw. I really rate the radical stuff. I wish I hadnt had a pannier rack on the back of the Scorpion as the Radical bags that go over the back of the seat hold an astonishing amount.

If you follow the link to the blog it is indeed Dave McCraw

I have also had issues near Titchfield.

Mine was where the road narrows on Bridge Lane by the Car Park

Van driver impolitely "telling me to get out of the way" as he forced his way through.

Passenger then tried to grab flag

Shame I have GoPros front and rear

Quick series of emails with the company who owned the van

Formal warning for the driver and the passenger was dismissed

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

Off topic....

Radical Design make "Seat Pods" and seat packs that can fit many recumbents allowing luggage to be carried

encore-preview1.jpg

This Blog is by a guy with an Encore and also used Radical Design bags
I do have the same seat pack, really good and holds a fair amount, I can't lay the seat back as far as Dave in the picture otherwise it rubs the tyre, I think he has it tied a bit higher up the seat/ head rest which I may have to try. Thanks for the pic.

Attachments

• encore-preview1.jpg
    encore-preview1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

The guy on the Schlitter looks like Dave McGraw. I really rate the radical stuff. I wish I hadnt had a pannier rack on the back of the Scorpion as the Radical bags that go over the back of the seat hold an astonishing amount.
I was just waiting to turn right past the shell garage. I was sat waiting for traffic for a min before he pulled up beside me, holding up the car behind him, to tell me "they're not safe" it was an older fella in a car not a van. Annoyed me at the time as he can't even have seen me riding. Got me thinking if I had cut him up earlier or wasn't visible enough but I think he was just a little ignorant and maybe still believes Road Tax (Vehicle Tax) is spent on roads :laugh: Over it now and back to enjoying rides.

OP
OP
Sailorsi

Sailorsi

If you follow the link to the blog it is indeed Dave McCraw

I have also had issues near Titchfield.

Mine was where the road narrows on Bridge Lane by the Car Park

Van driver impolitely "telling me to get out of the way" as he forced his way through.

Passenger then tried to grab flag

Shame I have GoPros front and rear

Quick series of emails with the company who owned the van

Formal warning for the driver and the passenger was dismissed
Way to go!

Top Bottom