Thought i was going over..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
Crikey...... the 'zound' saved you then...sheesh....the guy was an ass, especially to have a go at you.........
 

Matthames

Über Member
Location
East Sussex
That was a close call. I would definitely say that one was a hard one to judge. With the value of hindsight you can see the hazard start to develop when you go past the bus stop (about 8 seconds on your video). At that point you can see that the red car is indicating right and is about to turn, my guess is that you didn't pick up on it as you were target fixating on the white van as the brain would automatically perceive this as an immediate threat. I reckon that had you noticed the red car about the time you were near the bus stop you could of been on the brakes sooner and give a nice long blast while the red car was still hiding behind the van.

There is a book that might be worth your while reading, it is called Mind Driving by Stephen Haley, it is mainly aimed at car drivers but a lot of the advice it gives is useful for all road users. http://www.skilldriver.org/
 

Crankarm

Legendary Member
Location
Nr Cambridge
Both WVM and red car driver at fault for pulling across the road when they did not have right of way and their path was not clear. Red car driver when he couldn't even see if the road was clear to do so! What an idiot ........... Had you been one second futher on you would definitely have gone over his bonnet. But fortunately you didn't which is what counts.

Those PCSOs didn't look to be of much help....
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
Matthames said:
That was a close call. I would definitely say that one was a hard one to judge. With the value of hindsight you can see the hazard start to develop when you go past the bus stop (about 8 seconds on your video). At that point you can see that the red car is indicating right and is about to turn, my guess is that you didn't pick up on it as you were target fixating on the white van as the brain would automatically perceive this as an immediate threat. I reckon that had you noticed the red car about the time you were near the bus stop you could of been on the brakes sooner and give a nice long blast while the red car was still hiding behind the van.

There is a book that might be worth your while reading, it is called Mind Driving by Stephen Haley, it is mainly aimed at car drivers but a lot of the advice it gives is useful for all road users. http://www.skilldriver.org/
One word.................

Hindsight ............

balls..... the driver was in the wrong to cross the lane of the opposing traffic without a clear view.... see the highway code.....

As to expecting someone to do exactly that...well.... ahem ....... let you lot argue to next week then.......:blush:

PS I'd have been pressing on like you.......... I ain't waiting................
 
Motorist made a mistake...no clear view and he made his move...I don't know how fast you were doing but at junctions im always on the lookout as with those three cars on my three clips vid @ Stratford.

Also you could have been a motorbike or moped rider.
 

Matthames

Über Member
Location
East Sussex
fossyant said:
One word.................

Hindsight ............

balls..... the driver was in the wrong to cross the lane of the opposing traffic without a clear view.... see the highway code.....

As to expecting someone to do exactly that...well.... ahem ....... let you lot argue to next week then.......:cheers:

PS I'd have been pressing on like you.......... I ain't waiting................
Looking at the video, had the incident happened a few seconds after gaz had passed, the guy in the red car would probably of been creamed by an HGV.

I agree that spotting the red car at the bus stop was heavily biased due to hindsight. Because the first time I looked at it I fixated on the white van. I must admit the red car is not that easy to spot on the video at that point, but in real should of been easier to pick up. The one thing the video did highlight is that I need to sharpen up my observation skills and remember that it is not the car in front that would kill me, but the one in front of it.
 

NigC

New Member
Location
Surrey
It looked extremely close to a "nasty one" :cheers:

I don't travel at anything like that speed, but the moment that van pulled out I would have been on the brakes regardless of what I'd seen or missed - not to stop, but to slow and be prepared for the 1 in 1000 chance that I'd not been seen.

Given the post title, I was expecting the car turning left from the junction to pull out on the assumption that "the van's gone so it should be OK".

Regardless of the cycling style - the driver was 100% at fault - but that's a piss poor epitaph :biggrin:
 

adds21

Rider of bikes
Location
North Somerset
This is an excellent example of why cars should generally cross offside to offside, rather than nearside to nearside. Especially when something like a van (which you can't see though) is involved.
 

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Location
Manchester, UK
The red car was clearly indicating to turn... no argument about that... but FFS, why would you cross behind the van whilst it is still blocking your view (unless you're a complete ar$e like this driver).

No fault on Gaz's part, I'd have been braking a little to allow the van to clear, but no way would I have expected the car to do that!!
 

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Location
South London
adds21 said:
This is an excellent example of why cars should generally cross offside to offside, rather than nearside to nearside. Especially when something like a van (which you can't see though) is involved.
No, I don't think this shows any case for that at all. All the driver needed to do was wait until he could see the road was clear. He didn't.
 

BSRU

A Human Being
Location
Swindon
The van driver, selfish prat, car driver careless selfish prat.

As part of advanced motorbike training they teach you to ride to what you can see, since basically nothing could be seen beyond the white van, taking lots of speed off would have been the option, especially as cars can be seen waiting to turn right.

Since on two wheels we are very vulnerable to to stupid/careless metal box owners sometimes caution is the best option even though it is annoying to have to loose momentum.
 

BSRU

A Human Being
Location
Swindon
Sh4rkyBloke said:
but no way would I have expected the car to do that!!
Remember the line from Lock Stock, "assumption is the mother of all f**k ups". Unfortunately just because someone should not do it does not mean they will not.
 

adds21

Rider of bikes
Location
North Somerset
BentMikey said:
No, I don't think this shows any case for that at all. All the driver needed to do was wait until he could see the road was clear. He didn't.
You're right, but it was the car's priority (over the van, obviosuly it was Gaz's priority over both). Had the van waited for the car (and thus the car and van passed offside to offside), then the car's view of the road would have been clear. That's the reason nearside to nearside moves are always risky.
 
Top Bottom