Thought i was going over..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
In primary, you would have slowed more I think, rather than nipping round the back of the van. He might not have pulled out either, or not so quickly.

Slowing down is good, and would have been the primary correction for the motons' mistakes. IME it's also really important to take the lane if there's likely to be a traffic "complexity". That always assume you can anticipate, of course. You have more options to avoid, they have more chance of seeing you.

In the primary, the SAAB driver may have seen you for longer before the van pulled out (at around 8-9 secs in the clip) but we will never know; glad you're OK gaz.

Brahan

Über Member
Sheesh - close call Gaz.

So basically the Saab driver has seen that WVM needs to come out and has decided to wave him on thinking that he's got enough time to nip in before the approaching lorry arrives. He hasn't even considered you but needs to move quickly as per the HGV on your side of the road. I think that if that lorry (pause 22 secs) was a bit closer/faster it could have been a lot worse for all parties.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Alien8 said:
These little incidents are always good for reminding us that every junction is an accident waiting to happen.

Quite - this clip is particularly instructive as it has lots of competing visual information: a HGV behind the cyclist, a WVM pulling out from the junction, a Saab partially obscured turning into the junction. It's putting quite a strain on Gaz's camera, cognitive skills and CCers who view it...

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Defensively, I think taking a slower approach to the junction until you could see you were clear to go would have been better.

Yes, same as above. Even though we are in right of way, i've learned from experience in situations like this and would have done the same. I dont trust cars at junctions at all and I would have also had my eye on the car waiting to come out of the junction as i'ld be thinking they could possibly think they could have snuck out before you got to them, speed perception and reality are never the same and always fails for our benefit. I've found my self slowing down more and giving drivers the eye. However, when like this when you have multiple risks, I slow it.

However, glad you are safe anyhow!

Top Bottom