Thought of the day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am presently watching a program on Netflix about Minimalism and something they said struck me:
" You never have enough of what you don't really want."
I think this is a very powerful sentence and so true.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nah, it's whoever has the most toys wins ..........................................................innit. :whistle:

I am presently watching a program on Netflix about Minimalism and something they said struck me:
" You never have enough of what you don't really want."
I think this is a very powerful sentence and so true.

I can disprove it in four letters: b-e-e-r.

Acually, I can disprove it in three but this is a family forum.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
We cyclists are generally an acquisitive lot but how many bikes can you ride at one time? My wife is on a minimalist kick at the moment and the amount of handbags and shoes she's chucked out would make Imelda Marcos blush.

I cant claim to be wholeheartedly minimalist (not with 4 guitars, 3 ukuleles, 4 amps, and a bunch of other miscellaneous music stuff, not to mention 2 bikes), but Mrs Salad and I have certainly cut back a lot on chasing the acquisition of "stuff". A couple of years ago, we moved into a smaller house, and it forced us to address the issue of the amount of stuff we owned, that we barely ever used. A hell of a lot went to the charity shop, or to the tip.

Our life now feels simpler and a recent health scare for Mrs S has called into focus what's really important. Health, good friends and being content with what we have got, rather than envying those with more and constantly striving to match or exceed them.

screenman

Legendary Member
I was very materialistic until I was 34 and moved from Twickenham to Lincolnshire, no more flash cars, boats, and stupidly expensive meals out, to be honest I do not miss them and have no desire to own them again.

The less we spend the less we have to earn, the less we have to earn the less stress we have.

Top Bottom