Thoughts/impressions on Dawes Discovery 201

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Which is why I never user QR levers. Always replace them with hex key skewers. :okay:
Me no understand?

Why would the fact it is possible to put it the "wrong" way around be a reason for replacing with something else that you can still just as easily put the "wrong" way round?

Unless you are saying you do it for purely aesthetic reasons?

simongt

Guru
Unless you are saying you do it for purely aesthetic reasons?
Nope. QR means that any light fingered little towrag can also QR you wheels - ! So apart from threading cables through both wheels every time you lock it up anywhere, hex key skewers are the answer. :whistle:

Alex321

Veteran
Nope. QR means that any light fingered little towrag can also QR you wheels - ! So apart from threading cables through both wheels every time you lock it up anywhere, hex key skewers are the answer. :whistle:
Well I can see that, and understand it as a good reaosn, but it is a completely different reason to the one you gave above. I was questioning you saying "Which is why..."

grldtnr

Nothing wrong with a basic bike, it does the job!
I had 2 Disco 201's, one got pilfered, but I took mine across the Italian Appennines , a trip I bought it specifically for, mind you that was in 1995, and it had a better spec than the current one ,Reynolds 501 ,loads of bosses, Shimano Alivio groupset,and knobbly tyres, sounded like a Land Rover going down those mountain roads !
I bought it 'cos I didn't want to worry about my decent bike on the getting damaged on flight out, it wasn't in the end, but performed very well on the trip.
Made a good winter/ hack bike at home till I damaged the frame in a off road trip.

Alex321

Veteran
Eh - ? I didn't give a reason in my first reply. I simply stated that I always replaced QR with hex if the bike came with QR. My reason is given in my second reply. :okay:
1639135251276.png

"Which is why..." means that is the reason you do it.

But this is derailing the thread rather. I probably shouldn't even have questioned it to start with really.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Thanks for the input guys :okay: i probably put in hex skewers some time but theres not so many thieving****** where i live in the Highlands. Question- is there a mechanical reason why the qr should be on the left rather than the right on the front wheel?

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks for the input guys :okay: i probably put in hex skewers some time but theres not so many thieving****** where i live in the Highlands. Question- is there a mechanical reason why the qr should be on the left rather than the right on the front wheel?
If you have taken it out of the wheel completely and put it back in that way, I don't think so.

But if it means you have put the wheel in the other way around, then the tyre may be revolving the opposite way to what is intended, if it is a directional tyre (which most seem to be now).

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Nothing wrong with Dawes. I made my own flat bar bike from a 2009 Giro 200. Added new tyres mudguards, brake levers and stem. Already had the flat bar and grips in the parts bin from an old 90s MTB.

nc_ohc=LiKajSLRTmsAX9Exfap&_nc_ht=scontent.flba3-1.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's mostly for aesthetic reasons - on the rear the QR lever is on the other side to the derailleur for obvious reasons, so up front the QR should be on the same side to match.

Top Bottom