Thoughts on a Dutch bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
Slightly different concept, but apparently popular in the States and for sale over here the "Electra Townie" range of bikes might do.

Strange name though as they are not an electric bike.

MarkF

Guru
I loved the Dutch bike I borrowed when I lived in Amsterdam for six months as a student.

The only downside I can see is that if it's a 3 speed hub geared bike (or perhaps even 8 speed, don't know what the range is like on them), you'll be geared quite high for steep hills.

Other than that you may go a tad slower than you would on a road bike but could easily do a 40 mile ride.

I now have a 1950s Raleigh Sports sit-up-and-beg bike - I have to pick and choose the routes I do on it, with a single speed drive train and rod brakes it doesn't like going up/down steep hills much, but on flat/rolling terrain it's lovely.

Sounds great, got a pic?:okay:

I've been looking for a year or more for dutch/cruiser/whatever bike for 45/55 canal rides where I can just amble and not get neck ache.

Mike_P

Guru
I have a Giant ebike that is a Dutch Roadster, great for commutes and shopping trips where the upright position makes carrying a heavy rucksack less of a strain on the back. Photo is post customisation as their is no branding on the downtube as supplied which made it look to me like it had been resprayed and not finished off.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Sounds great, got a pic?:okay:

I've been looking for a year or more for dutch/cruiser/whatever bike for 45/55 canal rides where I can just amble and not get neck ache.

Sadly I don't have a pic of the Dutch roadster I borrowed from my boss while I was living in Amsterdam (it would have been received through the post from kodak if I had, it was a while ago!).

Happy to oblige with one of my Raleigh Sports though :smile:

ChrisEyles

Guru
It's now got a nicer saddle on it, and matching white wall tyres:

Unfortunately it's so hilly where we're living at the moment, and the only flat route (canal towpath) is such a nightmare for punctures, that it hasn't seen much use over the past couple of years.

We're moving to Bristol at some point, and I'm looking forward to riding it along the Bristol-Bath old railway line to visit friends :smile:

ChrisEyles

Guru
Despite appearances it's a good deal more lively than a true Dutch roadster. I think this is mostly down to the smaller wheel size. There is also a slight downward angle to the top tube, which is unusual. It's still pretty sit-up-and-beg compared to any of my other bikes though!

MarkF

Guru
It's now got a nicer saddle on it, and matching white wall tyres:

View attachment 529228

Unfortunately it's so hilly where we're living at the moment, and the only flat route (canal towpath) is such a nightmare for punctures, that it hasn't seen much use over the past couple of years.

We're moving to Bristol at some point, and I'm looking forward to riding it along the Bristol-Bath old railway line to visit friends :smile:

What a cool bike, just what I'd like. It would be well suited where I live, an ace towpath goimg east 11 miles to Leeds or west 20+ to Skipton. Tbh I was going to say how the mis-matched tyres made it bang on!^_^ I saw something on Ebay earlier a Raleigh something (Diplomat? ) in Manchester but it was finishing in a few mins & I didn't have time to research. Something will turn up, it always does.

Slightly different concept, but apparently popular in the States and for sale over here the "Electra Townie" range of bikes might do.

Strange name though as they are not an electric bike.
Electra are US style cruisers, most at home on the seaside promanade bike path with an ice cream in one hand.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
To the OP, if you want a low maintenance bike that'll be brisk over longer distances look for bikes like a Genesis Day One or Cube Hyde Pro. They have hub gears, disk brakes and full mudguards mounts.

But, don't think low maintenance means no maintenance. Hub gears, whilst durable, need a service every so often and not every bike shop is comfortable doing this. Also, spares for hub gears are less common than derailleur set ups, but if you're mechanically minded, there are lots of online resources to make them a doddle to live with.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll add my name to the list of those who think you'll struggle. I've done 20-30 glorious sunny miles in one hit on a Dutch bike (in the Netherlands) but it was very slow progress. I also have an Ofo which is similar in terms of mass / riding position / typical gearing.
If an Ofo is similar to the Dutch bike you rode, then both were very different to mine! The Cambridge Ofo I rode was a heavy lump with a low riding position and I think harsh alloy frame and solid tyres.

Yeah, contrary to what someone posted above, I'd go for a forgiving steel frame on a Dutch bike rather than aluminium every time.

As others have said for short, slow, comfortable urban journeys Dutch bikes are great. For efficienctly covering distance over hilly terrain they're not. I'd suggest your best bet would be an "all road" bike or if you're not a fan of drops a hybrid ;)
If you wanted the classic solution to doing long distance, it would be a "road/path" like the Gazelle Van Stael or Pashley Guvnor. Even though I got a hybrid (my first ever new bike!) and rode it for years, there aren't many things a hybrid will do better than a Dutch bike, except keep a bike mechanic in work!

Last edited:

mjr

But, don't think low maintenance means no maintenance. Hub gears, whilst durable, need a service every so often and not every bike shop is comfortable doing this. Also, spares for hub gears are less common than derailleur set ups, but if you're mechanically minded, there are lots of online resources to make them a doddle to live with.
That's one of the reasons I switched from Shimano to Sturmey-Archer. The AW has a reputation as Always Works with good reason, servicing is usually basically taking the innards out, checking nothing is smashed up, then refit, and if you were daft enough, you could build a new hub from the available spares. Meanwhile, Shimano Nexus/Alfine hubs officially require a dip in expensive special oil every year or N thousand miles (whichever comes first) and only a few bearings and brake parts are available as spares. In general, if a Shimano hub gear is damaged, you junk all the innards and stick a new one in, but given the iffy reports about SA 8-speeds, Shimano is probably a better option for that.

mjr

Think it's more down to the rider than the bicycle, there is only 1kg difference between @mjr 's Dutch bike and his hybrid and if the latter weighs 16kg anyway......my regular leisure ride is a flat (ish) 45 miles on a Dawes 501 (2010) which weighs in at 16kg with a rack. I want a Dutch bike for that same ride and expect to be comfier although no doubt slower too!:okay:
Like @alicat later replied, it ain't the weight which slows you so much as the aerodynamics, or lack thereof! Even hunkered down, I'm still awfully tall on the Dutch bike compared to the more compact road bike's position.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If an Ofo is similar to the Dutch bike you rode, then both were very different to mine! The Cambridge Ofo I rode was a heavy lump with a low riding position and I think harsh alloy frame and solid tyres.

Yeah, contrary to what someone posted above, I'd go for a forgiving steel frame on a Dutch bike rather than aluminium every time.
Well, of course there were differences but the broad strokes were extremely similar:

- Both are very heavy (the ofo is around 16-17kg, I'd estimate the town bike to be similar or even more)
- Both have an extremely upright riding position / short reach, high stack that's comfy and forgiving but terrible for drag at speed and in headwinds; I think a max effort on the flat on either got me around 17-18mph, when it'd be high-20s on a road bike.
- Both have internal hub gears and gripshift; the ofo only 3-spd the town bike was 8-spd so better in this regard but still limited in terms of range and spacing compared to 2x10 or 2x11 setup
- Both have wide-ish tyres of around 35-40mm
- Both have big fat saddles

You make good points about the ofo you rode; however mine has been fettled so now has a proper-height saddle (was about 3" too low before and bloody horrible for it) and decent pneumatic tyres. Obviously steel would be nicer but the bulk of the compliance comes from the tyres and now they've been changed the ofo doesn't feel harsh in the slightest.

I kept the ofo for the same attributes as one would seek in a town bike (weather resistance, convenience, comfort, low maintenance). Generally it's great as a short-distance (ideally sub-10 miles) utility bike as long as you have no intention of going fast and can endure the effort required to get up hills and overcome headwinds.

So I stand by my original post based on the (very similar) experience of both bikes :smile:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I would get a 6 speed hybrid bike from decathlon with rim brakes. No front derailleur. I think they are no more Than £150 (some even come with mudguards and rack).

I have found derailleur type gears to be incredibly reliable. If you don't want to maintain it I would just replace it every 2 years ( and sell the old one).

Top Bottom