Thoughts on a Dutch bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Have you seen the reviews for these?
Bike is not good enough
Good bike, if you use it infrequently

Decathlon's response was the same, "Thank you for posting a review of this bike. Indeed it is not intended for daily use ..."
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hyc-riverside-100-black-cn-id_8405298.html

That's where real life reviews are important. These bikes are ubiquitius in Spanish hire shops, from Bilbao to Malaga. It's a cheap, sturdy, simple bike, I might go in a shop and take my time before renting the right one, but for a week I can't be bothered to fly my own bike out and I've done multiple loaded tours in Spain on these with zero issues.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
For quite a long time I had a Pashley Roadster Sovereign, 5 speed, which is as close as you like to a Dutch style bicycle except they're made in Stratford-upon-Avon. I really liked it, even if it was a little weighty and a bit short on hill climb gearing. You get real style, a splendid Brooks B33 saddle, a magnificent ding-dong bell (which probably weighs as mush as a road bike on its own), hub brakes, hub dynamo for the front light and so on. I used to do trips up to 40 miles or so on it. For trips to the shops they're great, none of that funny pedals or dubious lycra clothing shenanigans. Recommended. If I'm honest I'd like another one.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Proper attire for gentlemanly riding.

One may loosen one's tie a little to avoid unseemly perspiration on inclines.

Attachments

• Pashley Gent.jpg
    Pashley Gent.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 29

tyred

Legendary Member
You definitely can do long rides on a Dutch type bike.

16134502424_8d1129d964_o.jpg

This is my 1951 Rudge 3 speed, probably weighs ~50lb and I've done hilly half centuries on it and I love it. It won't be fast in the hills and you may have walk from time to time but what is the rush if you're out for the day? With a 22 tooth sprocket fitted, I can climb most things on it anyway and I've done loaded touring in coastal areas on a 3 speed Bromptom which isn't much different in theory.

MarkF

Guru
You definitely can do long rides on a Dutch type bike.

View attachment 531591

This is my 1951 Rudge 3 speed, probably weighs ~50lb and I've done hilly half centuries on it and I love it. It won't be fast in the hills and you may have walk from time to time but what is the rush if you're out for the day? With a 22 tooth sprocket fitted, I can climb most things on it anyway and I've done loaded touring in coastal areas on a 3 speed Bromptom which isn't much different in theory.
What a gorgeous bike.:wub:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A 22 tooth rear sprocket makes a huge difference to the overall gearing. Generally most Raleigh family roadsters such as @tyred's Rudge, were either supplied with 46/18 or at most 46/19 gearing with an AW or AG hub. My own "lightweight" 26" rod braked Raleigh has 46/19, which I assume is how it was made as everything on it looks to be untouched from the factory. I can manage most gradients I encounter in the L gear with 46/19, although I have got off and walked a couple of times to save my legs for the return journey. I have considered going to 46/20 but no gradient I have encountered so far has forced my hand.

This thread has got me hankering for my old Pashley again. I miss being able to just get on and go without having to change shorts and shoes. Perhaps a new mixte is in order.
Can't beat a nice mixte. Looking forward to doing up my newly acquired Revell.

Reactions: mjr

MarkF

Guru
I was looking for a "Dutch" bike for ages, just for leisurely canal jaunts but these for me can be 50 milers. Then I saw the light and started looking at old Raleighs, after a fair few months I collected this Superbe today, it's pretty much mint, 125 miles from new. I paid £160 which might just get me a very manky Batavus.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru

It is, I even endured my least favourite route/direction, into darkest Lancashire, Pendle, Colne, Burnley, Accrington, depressed to hell before Blackburn but on I went to.....Preston. Can't fault it and it should be just the job for lazy days. There are some nice Raleigh Superbes and Chilterns on Ebay at the mo' and a poster on here has a mint 21" Superbe up for grabs.:okay:

tyred

Legendary Member
I was looking for a "Dutch" bike for ages, just for leisurely canal jaunts but these for me can be 50 milers. Then I saw the light and started looking at old Raleighs, after a fair few months I collected this Superbe today, it's pretty much mint, 125 miles from new. I paid £160 which might just get me a very manky Batavus.

View attachment 543967
I like that :wub:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My daughter was looking at a Dutch-style bike for commuting to work in London. It looked really good......but it weighed over 19 kg. I was horrified. I'm currently trying to persuade her to get a step-through hybrid instead, weighing a little over 13kg.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My daughter was looking at a Dutch-style bike for commuting to work in London. It looked really good......but it weighed over 19 kg. I was horrified. I'm currently trying to persuade her to get a step-through hybrid instead, weighing a little over 13kg.
Why not get a lighter Dutch-style bike? Except for Pashley and one or two others, I think most brands have a basic model around 15kg, but personally, I'd accept the weight for the comfort and reliability of hub brakes, hub gears and dynamo. It's not like there are mountains in London and most of the time, you coast down anything you ride up.

I don't understand the UK obsession with weight that results in so many purchases of harsh-riding road-MTB hybrids with fragile derailleurs often listed with the weight of a XS frame without rack, mudguards, pedals and sometimes not even a saddle!

Top Bottom