Thoughts on a Round Europe Trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now here's a good example of the dangers of considering a trailer, it's got me looking at other tents:-

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/2-person-tent/15-stelvio-200.html

with panniers I don't think I'd consider 6.6kg but the ability to store the bike is very attractive
You'll know what kind of rider you are but think carefully where you are in the venn diagram of weight weenie or take the kitchen sink. I discovered, the hard way, that I was more weight weenie and ditched most of my load once but that was some time ago now and I think I've moved more towards the kitchen sink. Get it wrong though and it'll marr your tour. often the best way is to do a shakedown tour.

You'll know what kind of rider you are but think carefully where you are in the venn diagram of weight weenie or take the kitchen sink. I discovered, the hard way, that I was more weight weenie and ditched most of my load once but that was some time ago now and I think I've moved more towards the kitchen sink. Get it wrong though and it'll marr your tour. often the best way is to do a shakedown tour.
That's what the postal service is for! though I know initially we actually carried too little! Useful things such as spare spokes, spanner, torx screwdriver, pannier spares, trangia multi fuel burner spares all embed up being purchased on route when we found out what needed then, not to mention a spare tyre or two :whistle:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
We have pretty much settled on 38x17 as being what we are happiest with. Weight wise we never met a single person who could lift my oh's bike and that included all the macho males in eastern Europe! Next time i have to buy parts I may drop down one more combination for me but we also off-road on our bikes so sometimes lowers gears are rather useful! But even with only 2 panniers and rack pack the uk inclines made my oh get off and push his bike up a couple of the passes in the lakes recently ... :whistle:

Oh I have no macho issues around getting off and pushing, I've done it before and will again many times. I have no plans to try and lift/carry a fully laden touring bike, I've done it half laden at Reading station, up and over to get to another platform. They were heavy full rear panniers and rackpack on a heavy hub gear bike. But even then all up weight was no more than 70lbs and that was a struggle up and down the stairs.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

So you reckon the deluxe barbecue grill set with half size gas canister is too much then?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Greg, I keep looking at the Yak, or the Ibis, and I'm uncomfortable with the weight restriction compared to the Carry Freedom, the coupling system, the lack of freestanding ability and, on a theoretical aspect the reports of handling effects in particular shimmy and difficulties for out of saddle riding. All of which aren't a concern for the 2 wheel options but then they have the big drawback of not being anywhere near as happy off the beaten track. They also have the two track footprint which won't help on rougher roads.
Nearly all the -ve comments about Yak style trailers come from folk who either haven't used one, haven't used on for any length of time, or couldn't be arsed to put the effort in to learn how to ride with one. Never had a problem honking when towing one. Try and read some blogs (or Adventure Cyclist magazine articles) and you'll see they have a place and work fine in practice.

My fave criticism is one you've captured... the lack of freestanding ability. So just like all my bikes then? ;)

So you reckon the deluxe barbecue grill set with half size gas canister is too much then?
I've seen stranger but if you truly want something like that, it does exist in small form. Whether it's worth the effort is another matter.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Nearly all the -ve comments about Yak style trailers come from folk who either haven't used one, haven't used on for any length of time, or couldn't be arsed to put the effort in to learn how to ride with one. Never had a problem honking when towing one. Try and read some blogs (or Adventure Cyclist magazine articles) and you'll see they have a place and work fine in practice.
My fave criticism is one you've captured... the lack of freestanding ability. So just like all my bikes then? ;)

I suspected as much, for starters lots of the Bob/CF/Burley reviews saying potential negatives begin with the immortal 'I've never used a trailer but'. I have tried two wheel rear trailers and didn't find them a problem on road but they were a pain at the shops, never tried offroad. Actually I thought the Bob could be used as a stand if you jacknifed it, that was one of the pluses in my book. When I mentioned freestanding I meant after removal from the bike.

Overall it remains a toughie In my mind and won't be settled until I've done some experimentation. This will initially focus on a pannier solution as I have so much of the kit already. One thing I want to investigate is front/rear weight split and handling. For example I've done many local shopping trips on the BF Tikit with full size panniers on the front and, as long as I packed the shopping right it's been fine. With lighter loads I've also had no trouble with a single front pannier on it. So I intend trying out all the varieties to see how I feel they ride and handle. I suspect the steering geometry of the bike in question will make a difference which is why I don't think reviews/recommendations will give me my ultimate answer. The frame and the forks were custom so unlikely to find a direct comparison.

Unless any combination creates such bad handling that I fear a sudden demise then I plan on giving each one a 50 mile workout including some Surrey Hills type inclines. I will report back on my results.

My bent trike is set up .........
53t/38t double chainrings on a Schlumpf HSD on the front.
A 21 tooth sprocket on my Rohloff built into a 20" wheel.
Try 9.5" to 172" in 24 steps.
I've found this setup works the best for me.
I did send the hub back to Rohloff after two years use to be checked over due to the silly low first gear, it came back with a report saying "no problems found with it".
One downside of my rig is weight wise the trike+trailer+camping gear probably comes in close to 60 kg.
But due to the silly low first gear, as long as I keep traction on the back wheel, I can pedal up anything ........ :biggrin:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Just remember that the aim is to enjoy the tour, not for it to be a trial by torture... Sometimes it is better to have a full length sleeping mat and get a good night's sleep than it is to save 200g in weight. It is often easier to lose the weight off your self!

Oh how right you are, I could lose the full touring load in weight and still be on the hefty side. There will definitely be no compromises on sleeping comfort, actually quite like that bit of kit that converts your mat to a chair as well.

Google Helinox chairs, there's a thread on them here in T&E as well, including alternatives and the ebay copy version. Cotswold normally have some out you can try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom