Thoughts on my first Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
Today I have been mainly riding around Newmarket area. Completing 75 miles is the furthest I have ever cycled which I am pleased about, just over 5 hours. While riding and on the drive home I have been reflecting on the experience.
1. I'm glad I did it, I always ride on my own so this was a very new experience.
2. Thanks for the advice on here, a lot of which I used.
3. Following in a group is a lot easier, but I found I was just watching the wheels closely. As there were some strong headwinds and a few headwind uphill parts I kept thinking don't lose that wheel
4. My competitiveness has reappeared, what's with the don't lose the wheel?
5. I need to learn the hand signals for when riding in a group.
6. At the first feeding station I thought what have I seen of the area? I decided to ride at my pace, which meant I was on my own, or a few let me pull them along, but I saw so much more and enjoyed my time in the saddle and the sun.
7. I should have rested longer at first stop having ridden a lot faster than I normally do.
8. Some hills just went on and on especially in the second 37 mile section with the last climb just before the stop being a b*****d but I rode every climb.
9. I did use the granny ring but I don't care, I have realised the pace I can ride and will spin up those climbs if I have to.
10. Far more sensible at second stop and had a rest, enough food and drink which meant the last 16 miles I was particularly fresh again.
11 I like the course marked out and Martials at tricky junctions, they did a great job and I thanked each one as I went past.
12 I will not look at those times for gold,silver,bronze again as I can then just enjoy the ride ( just st in the silver category, my competiveness from old will not go away!)
11 Huge grin as I crossed the line, very satisfying.
Would I do it again? Yes but I will make sure I enjoy it my way.

Finally I have decided it's the journey that is important, not the end goal. That just makes you take the first step.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
PS I did take all my wrappers etc and dispose of them properly

PPS I have decided not everyone could pull off the helmet hair look, I was complimented on its symmetry :smile:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 82

13 rider

Guru
Sounds like you had a good day and enjoyed it that's really all that matters . Well done on your longest ride
Only 25 more for an imperial ton

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today I have been mainly riding around Newmarket area. Completing 75 miles is the furthest I have ever cycled which I am pleased about, just over 5 hours. While riding and on the drive home I have been reflecting on the experience.
11 Huge grin as I crossed the line, very satisfying.
Would I do it again? Yes but I will make sure I enjoy it my way.......... :smile:
You sound like a natural audaxer to me. Much more relaxed and less competitive. Much cheaper too.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Really well done - what was the sportive?

Extra Brownie Points for thanking all the volunteers on your way round - it never ceases to amaze me how many self-absorbed sportivistes don't bother to do that.
Wiggle Spring Classic at Newmarket.
I know what you mean about the thanks.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Congratulations on a none too shabby achievement. One tip though, a buff would flatten out that hair. :thumbsup:
You can tell its near the end of a term. I think my normal number 3 on top and 2 on sides should also sort it :smile:

13 rider

Guru
In an Audax you are responsible for your navigation by either a route sheet or file on your GPS or trusted @Donger method of a map and you have a generous target time to get round so more relaxed riding compared to a sportive but you have at bit more of a challenge doing the navigating . Check out Audax UK website lots events all over the country

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
In an Audax you are responsible for your navigation by either a route sheet or file on your GPS or trusted @Donger method of a map and you have a generous target time to get round so more relaxed riding compared to a sportive but you have at bit more of a challenge doing the navigating . Check out Audax UK website lots events all over the country

I think me, you and @tallliman should go do an audax

Top Bottom