Thoughts on my first Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't fear the granny gear. Eat little and often. Stay hydrated, keep your electrolyte levels up, don't worry about the Faux Pro brigade. Enjoy the riding. Repeat.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
http://www.leicesterforest.org.uk/groupriding.html
Bit of reading about group riding
Well written and very clear
It's dangerously clear! It doesn't warn you that only the highway code signals are universal. Maybe pothole too. Other than that, there's not even consensus whether "car up" means car up ahead (most BC groups?), car moving up the group (overtaking, most CTC?) or car uphill of you (a few). Many of the signals and calls on that website have other meanings in other groups. Trust no one unless you trust them anyway!

broady

Veteran
I ride with the LFCC so generally follow the guidance above, but understand that different clubs have different sayings and signals.
When I started I just rode at the back and watched others as I didn't need to worry about letting anyone else know as nobody was behind me

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Most communication on ordinary group rides is just common sense. Most organised groups will give you a briefing on their particular variants.

When it comes to slipstreaming and chainganging, holding peoples wheels and stuff like that it may be more complex than just common sense, I don't know. You have to be going at a fair old lick (or be riding into a howling headwind) for that to make any practical difference so it's not something I ever get involved in.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Today I have been mainly riding around Newmarket area. Completing 75 miles is the furthest I have ever cycled which I am pleased about, just over 5 hours. While riding and on the drive home I have been reflecting on the experience.

Would I do it again? Yes but I will make sure I enjoy it my way....it's the journey that is important, not the end goal. That just makes you take the first step.

You have become cyclist, no longer just a bike rider :becool:

It's dangerously clear! It doesn't warn you that only the highway code signals are universal. Maybe pothole too. Other than that, there's not even consensus whether "car up" means car up ahead (most BC groups?), car moving up the group (overtaking, most CTC?) or car uphill of you (a few). Many of the signals and calls on that website have other meanings in other groups. Trust no one unless you trust them anyway!

IMG_4028.JPG

I often use this one to signal the presence of 'Allez man' ( formerly Langster man ). It's just to signal that the group needs to pass either on the left or right, because they normally do, after all.:okay:

Im up for it we can chat on Sunday

Likewise (on Saturday!)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I think he is trying to take the piss out of trip socks but i'm not sure as he has gone a bit bonkers over the last few weeks .
Go back to being a nice fella Mr RRK you seem to be getting a bit of a chip on your shoulder and its very unlike you . :hugs:

Top Bottom