Thoughts on the Polar CS400 cycle computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rockus

Hi all

Was looking to ungrade my cycle computer to the Polar CS400. :cheers:

http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/polar-cs400/12883

Really does everything im after and should keep me busy for a while yet -cant afford a Garmin 705 (boo Hoo:cry:).

My question is, does anyone have experience with this tool, does it work like its meant to i.e. isnt temprametal and is accurate etc...

And does anyone have any other suggestions for a computer. Im looking for it to do the usual plus cadence, HR monitoring & incline measurement -pretty specific i know but what the hay.

Thanks for your input

skwerl

I have a CS200. My only gripe is that the speed and cadence sensors don't have replaceable batteries. You're expected to buy new sensors, at 20 quid each. They may only need replacing every 2 years but why not make them with user-replaceable batteries? The HRM battery is replaceable and it's sealed well enough to swim in.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hey Rockus

It's a good piece of kit -

Apart from the above mentioned by skwerl
my only two gripes with it are that you have to have the cadence sensor lined up pretty well otherwise it won't register the rpm's.

The more irritating problem is that when you do a fast sprint - the mileage/km can jump up inaccurately - the kms can keep clocking in - adds up to 5km onto my usual commute so that's it's one sticking point for me. If you do long cycles I commute 16miles a day- you'll find that you'll need to upload the data once a week as the computer can't store loads of ride data understandably.

It should be fine for the stuff you need it for though!

OP
OP
Rockus

Rockus

thanks v much guys, so you reckon its worth forking out the paper on. Is it pretty straight forward to upload the data though - i dont like fiddly computer programs

garrilla

i havent looked at 400 but I have the 200. Main gripe is the cad sensor is SH!T, you spend an age getting it positioned, go out for a ride, hit a pothole or debris and thing has gone again.

As for data, on the 200 its not really worth it, the ride data is VERY LIMITED, Max and Avg of Speed, HR, Cad and then the distance covered. Maybe a couple of other indicators - it has not stream data. I don't know if this is the same for the 400

Mike Rudkin

I have a polar 200 cd and a Cateye V3. The Polar is a Heart Rate Monitor with a cycle computer function,whereas the V3 is a Cycle Computer which also gives Heart Rate.That's my perception any way :-)

oxbob

Save your money and wait until you can afford a garmin 705, i got mine bundled with city nav europe for £250 on amazon.It is also futureproof in that it is powertap (ANT) ready

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I have the CS200
The setting up of the sensors needs to be done carefully and really making sure that the sensors are cable tied in really really tight.
I have used mine over many a mile and a bumpy mile at that as well and have had little of no trouble 'cept that the Wearlink sometimes refuses to talk.. whereas my other Polar HR strap works 100%...
but as the batteries will soon fail in the CS sensors... whats the
Boardman Cadence Wireless Bike Computer
for 39.99 like?

thats the cost of 2 new Polar sensors and it does cadence speed etc etc
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...151_storeId_10001_partNumber_791640_langId_-1

OP
OP
Rockus

Rockus

theres so much choice out there that the problem. Ive since sacked the CS400 and decided the CS600 is probably more cost effective in the long run and for future. However im now looking at the Garmin 705 esp since Oxbob got a pretty good price on his

People im now thoroughly confused........

OP
OP
Rockus

Rockus

oxbob said:
Save your money and wait until you can afford a garmin 705, i got mine bundled with city nav europe for £250 on amazon.It is also futureproof in that it is powertap (ANT) ready

After a bit more research its got to be the Garmin 705. i know i said i couldnt or at least shouldnt afford it but i cant see anything coming close to it.

Oxbob, do you have a link for where you got it?

garrilla

It seems to be the unit + HR monitor, which is the basic bundle. It wont do Cad, and speed/distance is done via GPS, so is a bit oooh-er. The extras for this can be bought seperately.

Top Bottom