Thoughts on the Wahoo Kickr Bike, please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunner1967

Hello,

First time poster, looking for some advice here.

I am far from a club level cyclist but pre-pandemic did commute 22km daily on a cheap road bike, and loved it. I had been planning to upgrade my commuting bike for years, and when the rear hub completely seized mid-pandemic I bought a gravel bike (Pinnacle Arkose D3) - and repaired my original cheapo bike through numerous YouTube videos.

Due to the pandemic and some good advertising I leap into the world of Zwift and I am absolutely hooked (outside always wins but the ease and convenience is insane!). I invested in a Wahoo Kickr (2020) which is great BUT I don't have a dedicated bike to leave on it all the time, unless I convert my 14 speed cheapo into an indoor dedicated bike... But that involves changing cassettes on both the bike (free hub vs freewheel) and the Wahoo Kickr.

Although the Kickr is great it's annoying having to index each time I take my bike on or off, and I am never convinced I've completely removed the chain rub when on the Kickr.

Secondly my partner wants to get into cycling but is terrified of the country roads around Aberdeenshire - tried convincing her they are okay once you know where to position yourself etc. but that will take a lot of convincing.

Long story short, she wants to go on Zwift - great she's interested... But my bike is no where near the right size and I would have to adjust another set of dimensions each time she wanted a go.

Originally I was planning to get her a new bike which hopefully she would end up using outside (but then it would need to be a 22 speed bike, which are expensive!), or I would be in the same dilemma of changing the cassettes etc. on the Kickr.

Then I thought the Wahoo Kickr Bike would be perfect, although the £3k price tag is somewhat high, and the fact I had already spend £1k on the Wahoo Kickr (although I could probably sell that on, I still have the box and all the bits).

My ultimate question, does anyone share a Wahoo Kickr smart Bike with someone else, and in their opinion does it work well enough adjusting the heights etc. each time, and was it a good investment? I would probably accept the same crank length and then the seat and handlebars I would put some different coloured electrical tape to remind what size is for who (or something similar).

Justification for the £3k price tag: it would be split between two - bonus. It is effectively removes the need for a bike (£1k if 22 speed), it is a Kickr (£1k) and included the climb functionality (£500?) and much less hassle?

I've been dwelling on this for months, just annoyed I leap into the Wahoo Kickr and didn't think in more detail about the pros / cons of getting the smart bike.

Basically, just appreciate your thoughts / experiences!

Cheers

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Yep, I'm awaiting answers with interest, although in my case it's a Tacx Neo / Neo Bike ... although if the kickr Bike includes Climb functionality ... assuming the mechanics are not the same as in the actual climb :cursing:

CXRAndy

Guru
Go look at the wahoo kickr forums. There are quite a few issues. I wanted a wahoo bike or one of the others.

Ive decided to wait a couple of years for them to sort production issues.

Its not like sending a turbo back, these are big items.

Skiprat

Regular
I‘m due to go a try one tomorrow. QC seems a little hit and miss which is shame at this price point. Even so still tempted!

Skiprat

Regular
Had a go on one today and it is very nice. I’ve got a Schwinn ac sport indoor bike (spin bike) which is ok but the power, noise, fit etc isn’t great but workable. It’s working fine which makes it all the harder to part with 3K. Hmm descision descisions.

choddo

Go look at the wahoo kickr forums. There are quite a few issues. I wanted a wahoo bike or one of the others.

Ive decided to wait a couple of years for them to sort production issues.

Its not like sending a turbo back, these are big items.
My friend just had to do exactly this. Had to pay a deposit on the new replacement until the old one gets to them but it was a “from home collection” by a courier, not too bad. He just had to box it up.

Bit worrying that it needed replacing at all of course. I think he was waiting 2-3 weeks for the replacement to arrive as well.

Yep, I'm awaiting answers with interest, although in my case it's a Tacx Neo / Neo Bike ... although if the kickr Bike includes Climb functionality ... assuming the mechanics are not the same as in the actual climb :cursing:
I thought the climb functionality was due to a separate unit - the kickr climb. ?

CXRAndy

Guru
I thought the climb functionality was due to a separate unit - the kickr climb. ?

The 'Climb' works with kickr turbos.

The kickr bike has its built-in inclination mechanism. A different mechanical design.

Top Bottom