Thoughts on this Cross-Canada Route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhawk

Veteran
Hi all,

Preparing for my cross-Canada ride this year, wondering how on earth I'm going to traverse this vast expanse!

Here's a prospective route that I've laid out via Google Maps, it isn't very detailed, nor set-in-stone, as I plan to be as free as possible to allow for divergences, and you know, finding 'The One'. ;)

Home_-_Ottawa.jpg

I have to visit Ottawa, I have friends there who I've promised to stop and see!

ONTARIO.jpg

From there, I'll head North. But I have been given an alternative route by a friend who will also be going East across the country. that route through Ontario is here:

11123958_944552678923122_349482248_n.jpg

Depending on which route I take, I'll end up in Kenora, or near the ON/MB border...

Ontario_Manitoba_Saskatchewan_Alberta.jpg

That's my prospective route through the Prairies.

British Columbia.JPG

And then from Medicine Hat (love the name!) to Vancouver, and the end of the road!

All thoughts, comments, suggestions, questions are more than welcome! :smile: In fact, I insist upon it.

Cheers!

Jack.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I like the one that goes fhrough ontario not around it. You can visit the locks at Saulte St Marie . Tobermory is also said to be quite picturesque. It would be a shame not to see as much of the country and different towns as you can. I hope you have a great time. And of course photos are a must for those of us left behind. I'm very jealous.

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
I like the one that goes fhrough ontario not around it. You can visit the locks at Saulte St Marie . Tobermory is also said to be quite picturesque. It would be a shame not to see as much of the country and different towns as you can. I hope you have a great time. And of course photos are a must for those of us left behind. I'm very jealous.

Totally agree with you. The route which dives into Toronto and then comes back up is the shorter one of the two. However, as you've said, I'm not necessarily looking for the quickest route across Canada, rather one which allows me to see as much as possible.

Also, I have to go to Wawa, ON. As it's what I call my grandmother - story goes that I couldn't say, "Grandma" or other affiliated names, so I just said, "Wah-Wah", when speaking to her instead. And it stuck. Still does, 20 years later! :smile:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Totally agree with you. The route which dives into Toronto and then comes back up is the shorter one of the two. However, as you've said, I'm not necessarily looking for the quickest route across Canada, rather one which allows me to see as much as possible.

Also, I have to go to Wawa, ON. As it's what I call my grandmother - story goes that I couldn't say, "Grandma" or other affiliated names, so I just said, "Wah-Wah", when speaking to her instead. And it stuck. Still does, 20 years later! :smile:

I hope you have really great time. And of course BC is absolutely stunning. Id love to visit BC

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
Just created this as well. Using maptools.com.

Radius Tool.JPG

It gives me (and now you) a rough idea of how many days and what my 'planned' distances are per-day. I've got it temporarily done, by week... So, Week 1, I'll cover 30km/day (roughly), then week 2 will be 60km/day (again, just a guesstimation), and then hopefully by about a month in, I hope to be doing 80km/day till the end of the trip (speeding up if possible, slowing down if necessary). It isn't a race, just thought I'd give myself some idea as to how long it'll take, etc.

EDIT: This is if I were to ride day-after-day. I will NOT be doing that, that's almost a certainty. I'll probably stay a couple of days in a number of places, as well as Ottawa - I have friends who'll put me up as I've PROMISED to visit. :smile: This doesn't include rest-days, I'll try to get at least two in every week. ;) (Three? No, I couldn't possibly- oh go on then!)

Last edited:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Hi all,

Preparing for my cross-Canada ride this year, wondering how on earth I'm going to traverse this vast expanse!

Try one kilometre at a time. :okay:

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
One thing I am looking forward to is the British food stores dotted around the country! I'm going to stop in on one of them and say hi! Hopefully score some free grub! ;)

Top Bottom